PDA

View Full Version : Brain Injuries

ChuckD
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Let me start out as if this in appropiate then please delete it. I just wanted to share that with the help of the VA here in PHX and the Arizona Brain Injury Association (www.biaaz.org) that with the injuries that I had encountered in Iraq I have made what some would say an almost at a 90% recovery. I will still have problems as I am sure that some that I speak with alot will atest. But through treatment and support its something that I can live with. I am almost ready to continue my full time job at Cat and try to be a productive member of the community. Let me state that brain injuries don't only happen in the war zone, the happen to everday people here, from falling down to car accidents. The more research that goes into treating them means a better recovery for the individual. From my own personal status the VA went farther to help me than anybody has said that they would do. I want people to take a second and think, even a small bump on the head could be deadly. Natasha Richardson is a perfect example, she seemed normal after her accident but tragically passed. So keep an eye on your loved ones and remember that nothing is too small. I would also like to thank members here who have supported me through a difficult time. At least I can remeber when and where my children are born. If you would like to do more to support this cause pm me and I will give the information. I will continue to recover but lets not forget the ones that can't.

Power Hungry
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Chuck,

Thanks for that post. We certainly can appreciate how delicate the brain is and how many people a year die or are disabled from brain injuries, both preventable and unpreventable. It's the preventable ones that are often the saddest, especially with children.

We will continue to pray for your recovery and hope that you are able to resume your life in an unimpeded capacity. :2thumbs:

88Racing
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hey Chuck

Thanx for the informative post.

Lars

Jackpine
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Good for you Chuck! And, thanks for the feedback on the VA too. They seem to be the targets of a lot of criticism at times, and I doubt it is all justified. It's pretty hard to work miracles when you're not funded properly.

Continue to get better, Brother!

- Jack

soutthpaw
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Good for you Chuck! And, thanks for the feedback on the VA too. They seem to be the targets of a lot of criticism at times, and I doubt it is all justified. It's pretty hard to work miracles when you're not funded properly.

Continue to get better, Brother!

- Jack
It is also good to see the current administration making real efforts to Fully fund the VA and support our Veterans... More than I can say for the last admistration

ChuckD
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
It is also good to see the current administration making real efforts to Fully fund the VA and support our Veterans... More than I can say for the last admistration

Actually the current admin is wanting the soldiers private insurance company to cover the cost.

JWBFX4
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear of your recovery, hope everything keeps getting bettter.

Jackpine
Fri, April 24th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Actually the current admin is wanting the soldiers private insurance company to cover the cost.

I don't know that that's a BAD plan - When Janet was working for a Managed Care company (she's a psychologist), the company was making "obscene" profits. I don't think the insurance companies are hurting even now. They simply apply the clever strategy of reducing the payments they will give to members of the medical profession for a particular service so that they can maintain their profit margin. Hospitals and clinics then, are forced to charge "enormous" fees to people who DON'T have insurance to cover their losses.

Do we need health care reform? It's clear to me that we do.

- Jack

ChuckD
Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Why should my private insurance cover what happened in a war zone? Thats the BAD idea. Think about it my civilian employer pays a big part of my insurance coverage and if I have to go to a Dr. on a continuing basis. So even though my job performance is good but they have an employee that has continuing health problems and there is another guy that dont but even though his performance isn't as good then guess who gets the boot.

Jackpine
Sat, April 25th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Why should my private insurance cover what happened in a war zone? Thats the BAD idea. Think about it my civilian employer pays a big part of my insurance coverage and if I have to go to a Dr. on a continuing basis. So even though my job performance is good but they have an employee that has continuing health problems and there is another guy that dont but even though his performance isn't as good then guess who gets the boot.

This is why I think we need health care reform, but, respectfully, here's what I think regarding your case - please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are a Reservist, is that correct? If so, your employer is obligated by law to keep your job open for you upon your return from any deployment. Effectively, you are placed on "unpaid vacation" by your employer. Certain things such as your "seniority" should continue to gain in value while you are deployed. I suspect the employer does not have to pay your health insurance premiums during this time (since the military is covering it) but your insurance is not "canceled", and, injuries you suffer while deployed cannot be considered "prior conditions" by the insurance company when you return. The company HAS to cover you.

And, I think your employer negotiates "group" rates with the insurance company. I'd find it very hard to believe that an insurance company would bill your employer for each covered employee separately, based on their medical claims. That would be a billing nightmare! So, as far as your employer is concerned, your medical insurance is not a factor - he pays the same for every other employee.

But, of course, your time away from work DOES cost the employer - no question there. And, sadly, this could make the other worker who doesn't have chronic health problems more useful to him. But, it's not the cost of your insurance that's the problem. You and the other guy have exactly the same health care costs.

I just hope you can get through this quickly and back to work full time. It's got to be hell for you the way things are now.

- Jack

ChuckD
Sat, April 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yup I am a Guard guy. I have a really good employer Empire Cat. I started this deployment on Aug. 1, 2006 now its almost 3 years later. Its had its ups and downs but being bored for the most part. Now I know what retired people mean when they say thay are bored.