PDA

View Full Version : Tuner for cummings diesel

dplummer87
Thu, May 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Ok, so with fathers day approaching, the fam is going to chip in and get my dad a tuner for his 06 dodge mega cab cumming 5.9...(yes, he regrets it...99 F350 was his old truck) Anyway, he uses it as a daily driver and for work...Has about 75k on it now and i know he has been wanting a tuner pretty bad...He doesnt really want power, he is more concerned about MPG's...I see edge and bully dog both have a "gas" product...anyone have any advice? Any boost in performance is always a plus...but like i said, getting that infamous 120 hp boost is not what we are after....any body have any advice on what product to go with and not having to worry about egt's?

Usually the bed is only loaded with a couple hundred pounds...

At the max, he will go 350 miles with about 1500 pounds in the bed, with a 16ft flat bed trailer loaded with....maybe with 3500-4000 lbs....Dont know how much the trailer weighs...Usually when he pulls that he takes the ford (:woot:) but every once in a while he takes the dodge even though he hates beating it up...hmmm, doesnt seem to beat up the ford though but i guess thats for a different discussion :smiley_roll1:

cleatus12r
Thu, May 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Check out the Powermax modules from TST. Here's a link.

http://www.tstproducts.com/03-06dodgerampowermaxcrecon.aspx

soutthpaw
Thu, May 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Its Cummins, there's no g in it. Except for. G. Why did I buy a dodge. May help your search. If u spell it right.

soutthpaw
Thu, May 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Its Cummins, there's no g in it. Except for. G. Why did I buy a dodge. May help your search. If u spell it right.

dplummer87
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
yeah i know, my bad...Already searched plenty...was hoping to get your guys thoughts on what kind of tuner will boost mpg's for that brand of diesel...

dplummer87
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM
That TST one says i still should get an EGT gauge :shrug:

cleatus12r
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I think a pyrometer should be mandatory on ANY late-model 5.9L Cummins because they ride the ragged edge of meltdown from the factory. 300+ HP of constant duty power from a 360 cubic inch engine is crazy.

Seriously, if your dad doesn't do a whole heck of a lot with it (towing hard for hours at a time), I wouldn't worry about it.

kokopellimotorsports
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I sell quite a few edge milage max chips. They work great, they add about 35hp and are safe to run without gauges. I see an average of 2 mpg increase with these.

They cost 279.**.

If you decide on something else I can get whatever you want. I sell TST, Edge, Superchips, and any other manufacturer that you could think of.

Thanks

Ty

cleatus12r
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I sell quite a few edge milage max chips. They work great, they add about 35hp and are safe to run without gauges. I see an average of 2 mpg increase with these.

They cost 279.**.

Ha ha. I totally forgot about the "E". :doh:

dplummer87
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Are there any other mods that are worth the money out there for diesel? Specifically cummins?

ChuckD
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Guages, guages, guages, guages. Do I need to say more?

kokopellimotorsports
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Chuckd is correct, anything much past the mileage max you will want gauges.

Other items that help are an intake and exhaust upgrade.

There are a lot of things you can do, it all depends on what your use is.

Ty

soutthpaw
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Are there any other mods that are worth the money out there for diesel? Specifically cummins?
A "For Sale" sign????
"Will trade for a Powerstroke":smiley_roll1:

Intake, exhaust and gauges are pretty much standard anytime you add power to a diesel

John Anderson
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I've put a few of the new Superchips Flashpaq programmers in 05-07 Cummins trucks and the guys like them really well. Most of them are seeing a pretty good bump in fuel mileage as well as nice power. I really like them alot for a guy who just wants a tuner and nothing else.

kokopellimotorsports
Fri, May 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I've put a few of the new Superchips Flashpaq programmers in 05-07 Cummins trucks and the guys like them really well. Most of them are seeing a pretty good bump in fuel mileage as well as nice power. I really like them alot for a guy who just wants a tuner and nothing else.

Agreed.

Ty