PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about a smaller truck?

BlackSTX
Sun, June 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I've been seeing some pics of a possible new Ranger based off of the model available everywhere else but in the USA, with fuel prices likely to increase and engines likely to become smaller and more efficient, do you think your next truck may be something smaller than a 150 and possibly a small to mid-sized truck?

If so, do you think that the manufacturers should make some of the diesel engines they offer over seas available here, and would you prefer the diesel if they did?

I'm just curious.... I like to know what other are thinking about it. I'd consider a smaller truck next time, as I had four Rangers previously to my 150 and miss not having a truck that fits in my garage. After all, it sucks having to chip ice and brush a foot of snow off every morning, not to mention having to wash it every other day because of birds "bombing" it multiple times a day. I'm sure many of you need your trucks for work and towing, but if you didn't, would you also go to a smaller one?

average-joe
Sun, June 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I had a Ranger kitted out for my work needs, but it was never big enough.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/Urban_grunt/RANGER4.jpg

I traded up to a new F150 which is big enough for my needs and costs almost the same in fuel useage.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll50/Urban_grunt/IMG_5299.jpg

Diesel cars/Rangers are everywhere in the world except the USA, but with the new fuel economy figures being pushed by the goverment we might get more diesel cars/trucks shortly.

BlackSTX
Sun, June 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I completely know what you mean on gas mileage and pricing between the small and full-sized trucks. Talking with one of the salesmen about not selling that many Rangers any more, he quickly pointed out that with some of the rebates that had been offered for many years, it was often the same, or better to go with a 150; plus you had a better trade-in value with the 150.
I just miss the manuveability I had with my last Ranger, not to mention the snot my last one had with mods. Gas mileage was about the same as I have now, but performance is night and day.

Northern Supercrew
Sun, June 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I had 2 rangers, both 93 models and would never go back...i love my Screw and it's room. i see some f150 owners getting just as good or better mileage than the ranger..my 4.0 rangers only got 18 on the highway..my 5.4 now does that.

Jackpine
Sun, June 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'd go for a smaller truck if it had the pulling power that I have with the 150. I'd like the smaller wheelbase and width for maneuvering on high mountain jeep trails. With the 150, I'm not sure it would fit on some of the roads in Colorado I'd like to take.

I DO think Ford needs to pull out all the stops and seriously start working on diesel power for its fleet. That has got to be one of the easiest, most cost efficient ways to achieve the new fuel economy figures coming down the pike. I think it makes far more sense than hybrid or all-electric engines.

- Jack

BlackSTX
Sun, June 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I definitely have to agree with you on the need for diesels. If they fully institute some form of a "cap & trade" policy, a plug in is going to cost too much to be fully recharging since they're be more taxes/fees/surcharges to contend with from utilities. Besides, there's be more chance of getting mods and tunes for a diesel than alternate powered vehicles. Also of note, hybrids are very efficient in cold climates; they don't really function as intended when it's cold. A local news station here did a long term comparison with 2 Escapes, 1 hybrid, 1 gas; little to no cost benefit for the hybrid.