PDA

View Full Version : I was waiting for GM to do this!

88Racing
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Just got word this weekend that the leaner form GM will not be having any monies available for NASCAR. The 2 series it involves are the Nationwide(busch cars) and Camping World(craftman trucks). The truck series already has taken a blow from Dodge at the end of last season and now this from GM.
To bad, now toyota and Ford are the only mfgr's providing funding in these 2 series, and there not to many Fords running for the trucks anymore.

Guess they finally figured out that people weren't buying the car that won on Sunday on Monday anymore.

Lars

SubiGT
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Well, since I really didn't want my tax dollars supporting GM or Chrysler in the first place, I definitely shouldn't be paying for racing.

You haven't been able to to "Win on Sunday, Buy on Monday", since the early 70's. NASCAR, like all other facets of American life, will either adapt or die in this leaner economy. It's probably a good thing.

BlackSTX
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Other than the fact they probably don't really have money to invest; though it is valuable as advertising, I'm sure a czar of someone from the auto task force made sure they were out of it. Just as Chrysler had the advertising budget cut in half.

average-joe
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I can see it now Obama's face on GM car at a NASCAR race.:yikes2:

"YES WE CAN" Logo

BlackSTX
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Great, I can see it now..... a government funded race team; senate committees to investigate their continued losing seasons, and financial losses..... NASCAR bailout packages.... :hehe: The fight to unionize pit crews with card check, environmentalism effected cars and so on.... Eventually we end up with over glorified electric golf carts, with automatic transmissions for those who can't drive a stick, zipping around the track, and 2 union mandated coffee breaks for the pit crews; EPA, NTSB, and a host of other alphabets imposing regulations, air bags, catalytic converters, ABS, evap systems... to appease every group not normally associated or fond of NASCAR.

88Racing
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
That would be something to see. If the government stepped in and took over the NASCAR teams. Wonder if its allowable to do a pit stop in under 15 seconds. Then the driver would have to take breaks every so often.
Haha LOL!!!

Lars

88Racing
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Well I am not here to tell historical factoids but NASCAR's origination actually came from government intervention also. Prohibition started people modifying their vehicles to run moonshine. They did this to out run the law and were quite successful as long as they didn't wreck or get caught in roadblocks or raids. As prohibition ended the shine runners started to race each other for bragging rights. Bill France Sr monoplized and organized this and the rest is history.

Lars

phatbak
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
So instead of Race Day being on Sunday, they should stagger it through the regular work week. Are there any government agencies that work on Sunday?

...don't forget water coolers in all the pit stalls too... :crazy:

BlackSTX
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm just afraid this is what we may be in for..... as if NASCAR hasn't been becoming kind of lame itself.

88Racing
Mon, June 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm just afraid this is what we may be in for..... as if NASCAR hasn't been becoming kind of lame itself.

Nice attachment pic! LOL

Yes, I agree NASCAR is becoming a little bit more ho-hum these days.
No more contriversy or soap operas.
Let's all face it NASCAR is a luxury sport. Every race I have ever gone to has always been $250+. Add in the fam in the last 5 years and its over $2000+. Football, baseball, and hockey will feel the economy leaness also.

The other thing is I never understood is at these events is why do beer, pop, and food cost so much? Heck they are sponsoring some component of the race, give it away for promos.

Lars