PDA

View Full Version : North Korea

kokopellimotorsports
Wed, June 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
What are some of your views on the increasing intensity with N. Korea?

Jackpine
Wed, June 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
It's making me nervous. I think the regime there is pretty irrational by Western standards and I see nothing but trouble down the road. I also think it's encouraging that the UN security Council seems united on this subject. It's so common to have China or Russia veto any reasonable move that I expected it to happen here too.

One thing I know, North Korea would not be an easy country to "invade". It has many of the physical characteristics of Afghanistan (mountains, dispersed industry, etc.), but it also has a large standing army with big guns trained on Seoul. I think at the slightest provocation, Seoul would be a smoking hole. And, we are already stretched far too thin to even think about military action against North Korea.

To me, it seems like North Korea really wants to be recognized as a major player among the nations of the world. Having nuclear capability gives them a huge boost in that direction.

- Jack

BlackSTX
Wed, June 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I think we're kind of in between a rock and a very hard place. I think NK is the toadie for China and they're allowing them some room just to push the buttons to see what osama is going to do about it. They know he's weak, and they're playing it for all it's worth.

Their dictator is a total whack job and shouldn't have nukes, in my opinion, but who's really going to stop him if China isn't going to put pressure on them? Do we really think they're going to listen to us?
We certainly can't rely on the UN (useless nations), they're a total joke! They'd have ships/troops watch him load nukes on ships/missles and do nothing, just like they did in Bosnia while people were being slaughtered. Oh, maybe they'd send him another letter condemning his actions.....oooooh, that's being tough!

average-joe
Wed, June 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
My view is kim jong il has not got long to live, he's named his heir/successor his son,i think he wants to go out with a bang/blaze of glory kind of deal,Thus keeping his name alive in korea and history.

Afrancis
Wed, June 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
To this day we have been and still are sending troops to South Korea ever since the Korean war. Just a little side note of history here to. For anyone that may not know the Korean war never did technically end, it was just a cease fire.