PDA

View Full Version : Leer Caps

average-joe
Thu, June 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
See Post #6 for the original User Report on Leer Caps.

Average-joe, I combined your new post on this with the original one. Hope you don't mind.

- Jack

Jackpine
Thu, June 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I DO hope you get a good resolution on this. Since this is the "Conversation Pit", where no subject is "off limits" and, you've presented what seem like verifiable faults in the product, I think it's a reasonable place to post your displeasure.

Possibly, Corey or Bill, we need a "Cheers and Jeers" section like f150Online has for things like this?

But, back to your post, average-joe: I had a Toyota Pickup once upon a time (when I first met Janet), and I quickly determined I needed a bed cap, since she was into camping and going into the back country places that my previous wife couldn't stand, but where I loved to go.

So, I ordered a cap, for my white truck and it was a Leer. The cap fit fine, but the color match was horrible, even though the paint supposedly matched the vehicle's paint code. Well, the dealer agreed with me and we sent the cap back, along with my truck's gas tank filler cover for a "paint match". Two weeks later, the cap is back. It was better, but still not exact. I decided to live with it.

When I sold the truck, the paint on the cap was "flaking" off. I felt pretty bad about including the cap in the value of the truck, but I did.

I bought a used truck that already had an A.R.E. cap to replace it and that cap matched and fit perfectly! When I sold it (when I bought my Ford), the cap looked just like new. The truck was a silver Nissan Frontier.

I bought an A.R.E. cap for my Ford - It's a perfect paint match, fits great and has the features I want. It's two years old now, and it still looks as good as the day I got it.

So, there ARE good caps out there, and I personally don't think you should have to pay for one that is not satisfactory.

(Oops, sorry I didn't "quote" your post - I thought it was fairly presented. Now, I want to know, "Why did you change your mind?") And, I'll leave my post in place.

- Jack

average-joe
Thu, June 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I changed my mind on the post, i felt like i was moaning to much:giggle:

Jackpine
Thu, June 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I changed my mind on the post, i felt like i was moaning to much:giggle:

No, I didn't think you were at all. You presented clear reasons why you felt the cap was not up to "standard" and it didn't seem like moaning at all. You have a right to expect value for $1500!

In my opinion, as a moderator, you are free to post the problems you have with this cap on here again, if you choose. You seemed to post the original one without "bashing". You were simply pointing out the problems. I see nothing at all wrong with presenting "facts", that might help other members in their choices.

- Jack

88Racing
Thu, June 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
If there is something wrong with a product we the members would like to know.
Not that it will sway our opinion one way or another but we can use it as a "look out tool" if we ever purchase one.
You can post about it in this area all you want.

Lars

average-joe
Sat, June 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I ordered a Leer Cap for a 08 F150 8foot bed with built in roof racks.....simple enough order.
After 3 weeks the cap was ready tobe fitted :happy-dancing:
The dealer brings my truck around with the new cap,looks good until i take a closer look.It fits front and rear but bows out in the middle so bad that i can slide my fingers in the gap, the dealer agrees it's a bad fit and orders a new cap.
Two weeks pass, no news and the dealer knows nothing.
I write to Leer two times via e-mail to the address of the Leer webpage....no reply.
Leer DOES NOT HAVE A CUSTOMER SERVICE department or phone number, but i got hold of a Leer phone number (PA branch) I call and ask what's going on with my replacement cap.The Leer service/rep was more interested in where i got there phone number from!I asked for someone to call me back , nobody ever did.(i called and left messages 4 times)
Yesterday the new cap was fitted and it was just as bad as the first:hehe: but with the added insult the other cap has damaged the paint in two places.Dealer took pictures to send to Leer claims department.( i think this is going to be a up hill battle)
Dealer calls Leer and tells them about the poor fit(2nd cap),Leer offers me $300 to keep the cap!I want a fitted cap or my money back nothing else will do.
The dealer now has Leer's full attention at last!!
Leer is getting a F150 with a 8 foot bed to make a cap that fits that truck with no gaps,replacement caps 3-4 weeks with a promise that this will fit perfect ,3rd times a charm???

I am convinced Leer is going to all the effort to keep me happy because ive been a pain in there arse and i wont let up until i get what i payed for.

I cannot recommend Leer products for the simple reason they have no customer service for the general public and if you have a problem with a product they throw money at the problem instead of fixing the product right in the first place.

END OF MINI RANT:giggle:

BlackSTX
Sat, June 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Your frustration seems to be justified. You paid for a product with expectations that it would fit properly and be free of defects; on two occasions that was not the case.
Some people would probably be happy with the money off the price, but if you have certain needs and expectations of that product, it seems like most companies would be concerned if they weren't matched.... after all, you won't purchase their product again, and would be likely to tell others of your issues discouraging others from buying their products too.

On the other hand, your persistence may pay off, since the company says they will correct the problem. Hopefully they are good on their promise.

88Racing
Sat, June 27th, 2009, 10:38 PM
If the third time is not the charm. Go get your dough back.
Find another cap mfgr.

Lars

Alaska_Bound
Mon, June 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'll add my 2 cents to this one.

I paid close to $2500 for an optioned out 100lx Wilderness package from Leer. The fit was (is) terrible, you can stick two fingers in the gap on the back of the cap. I bought this about 2 weeks before we moved to Alaska so I'm talking to the dealer up here about the problems.

I also have two gaskets that have problems. The one on the tip-out window was never glued down properly (flops around) and the sliding window gasket is hanging down between the bed and the cab. Overall workmanship is substandard, the interior "carpet" covering is kind of patched together, and the paint is a "close" match.

If I had to do this over again, I'd definately find another manufacturer.....so much for brand recognition and quality.

88Racing
Mon, June 29th, 2009, 08:49 PM
After hearing all this I'll have to give my buddy some greif.
He's a Leer dealer!
He manages Radco.
I want to see what he has to say?

Lars

p40whk
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Found this thread through a search and have to say I'm a bit surprised with the fit of your cap! I just put a Century cap on my 05' Stepside and these are made in the LEER factory (basically a LEER with a different name on it). I chose the Century because it was the only model I could find where someone could show me a picture of a cap on a Stepside.

My Century fits like a glove, the paint match is perfect and it was 30% cheaper than buying a LEER which they also say they have a model to fit my truck. I didn't want to spend the money on something I couldn't see a picture of and I fought with both LEER and A.R.E. to get pictures of their stepside models, never saw one! The Century dealer and the lady at Century emailed me photo's within 15 minutes so that sold me.

I'm very happy with this cap and it's well made. It's kind of amazing how different parts of the same company can perform better than the whole!

Jackpine
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cool! Thanks for adding a "good review" to this thread. I'd hate to condemn an entire product line on the basis of a few bad experiences.

I COULD do a search on this, but does Leer have more than one FAB plant? I seem to recall that mine came from California, but that was a long time ago.

- Jack

average-joe
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Cool! Thanks for adding a "good review" to this thread. I'd hate to condemn an entire product line on the basis of a few bad experiences.

I COULD do a search on this, but does Leer have more than one FAB plant? I seem to recall that mine came from California, but that was a long time ago.

- Jack

Leer have 3 locations in the Usa , Milton, PA ,Elkhart, IN and Woodland, CA .

Jackpine
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Leer have 3 locations in the Usa , Milton, PA ,Elkhart, IN and Woodland, CA .

Thanks for being more helpful than me! :2thumbs:

So, the big question now, "Is there any quality difference between these different plants?"

I had paint problems from the one in California, but that was ages ago. It probably does not count. Where were the more recent bad, and good ones from?

- Jack

88Racing
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Talked with my buddy from Radco tonight at the baseball game. Their store always gets the toppers from Indiana. The latest problem they have had is scratches that are unexplainable. The worst problem he has ever seen from Leer was 15-20 years ago and trying to get paint to match. Only one problem on fitment and that was on a chevy flairside.

Lars:shrug:

p40whk
Thu, July 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Mine came from the Elkhart, IN. plant. Got it in February.

Jackpine
Thu, July 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Talked with my buddy from Radco tonight at the baseball game. Their store always gets the toppers from Indiana. The latest problem they have had is scratches that are unexplainable. The worst problem he has ever seen from Leer was 15-20 years ago and trying to get paint to match. Only one problem on fitment and that was on a chevy flairside.

Lars:shrug:

My Leer cap was in the 15-year ago time frame (with the paint that didn't match after two tries).

- Jack

average-joe
Thu, July 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
My two failed attempts came from PA.
One last try to get it right, if not im out of there with a refund.

average-joe
Fri, July 31st, 2009, 06:35 AM
Leer CANNOT make a cap that fits a F150 8 foot bed i got a refund today.
Leer still offers the cap on there web page and dealer network but it won't be any good,they offer you $300 cash back to keep the bad fitting cap they make...............you have been warned.

BlackSTX
Fri, July 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
It's always a bit hard to understand. They've been making caps for how many years and they can't seem to make one right for your 8" bed? You'd think that they'd have had enough experience to make such problems almost nonexistent by this time.:shrug: