PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha doin' for the 4th?

Corey Cohron RIP
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM
We actually have some really cool plans for July 4th. In our neighborhood, there is a family who is very well off, and they have a huge house, a huge yard, and a pool. These people are just so wonderful, and they share their blessings with everyone. (You can't even IMAGINE what they do at Christmas!)

Well, for July 4th, they have invited everyone in our subdivision to come over for an all-day party -- lots of food, fun, and swimming. They usually shoot off THOUSANDS of dollars worth of fireworks as soon as it gets dark. The very coolest part? Bill will be :1dj:ing all day! For those of you who don't know, Bill is VERY into music, and half of my living room is taken up by eight speakers, two turntables, and all the other stuff he has -- equalizers... amplifiers... He's just thrilled to be able to DJ all day, and it'll be nice to be out of the office for a change of scenery. :2thumbs:

Anyone else doing anything special?

average-joe
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Shooting Groundhogs for the day:drool2:

88Racing
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 01:20 PM
No big plans!
I'm on call!
House sitting for the neighbor and taking care of their pets.
If I wasn't on call I had permission to take their boat but that's not happening!)-:
Just going to go to a nieghboring town for their big parade/car show/rides.
Shoot off a "few" hundred dollars worth of fireworks.
Oh yah going to grill and go swimming! Maybe take the HD out also.
Hopefully it will be cool and safe this year!
Happy Independence Day Everyone!

Lars

lbjailer
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Babysitting my dog because fireworks and knuckleheads shooting off their guns freaks him out, got sedatives for him, calms him down a little but he is still whacked out scared. One of the joys of living in a Gang infested City.

BlackSTX
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 06:25 PM
lbjailer- Sorry to hear about the dog. I know how that is though, my sis had a brittany like that. Poor thing once crawled into the kitchen cabinet, under the sink to get away from the noise.

Not too sure what our plans are. There's several places around here doing fireworks, but we'll probably spend it home. I'll probably grille some brats and have a couple cold Canadian beers waiting for some goofball in the neighborhood to blow their hand off.
Since my inlaws are coming in from FL next week it may be my last chance for a month to enjoy peace and quiet.

average-joe
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Move to Nj it's no fireworks state.

Caforddude
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
Bill will be :1dj:ing all day! For those of you who don't know, Bill is VERY into music,

So Bill spends the workweek spinning up trucks and the weekends spinning the wax huh...Cool

BlackSTX
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sad thing is, we live in NY, fireworks are illegal and have been since the 70's. It doesn't seem to matter in some towns, in fact, friend who grew up down the street from me used to have a policeman from town bring the fireworks to their party.

Corey Cohron RIP
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
So Bill spends the workweek spinning up trucks and the weekends spinning the wax huh...Cool

:yesnod: When he's feeling very stressed, he goes into the living room and DJs. The boys LOVE it! He likes to make the entire house shake (we even had the cops here one night :yikes2:). He even broke the lightbulb in the overhead fixture one time due to the enormous amount of bass. :doh:

Jackpine
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Nothing like a peaceful life! :hehe:

We'll be driving up to a little town on Mt Lemmon (about 8500 ft) to join with some friends up there who have a cabin and participate in the Summerhaven 4th of July parade. It's a real old time, small town parade, and folks sit out in lawn chairs on the road through town to see the "big event". Our friends lead a mandolin band in the parade (there are several very good folk musicians in the group) and it's a whole lot of fun. My Scottish group's pipe band even comes up and marches in the parade. Before and after the parade, the musicians are out on the deck "jamming", so it's a great way to spend the 4th.

That evening, we're going to another friend's home to celebrate her birthday. (It's not on the 4th, but it's close enough). We'll be fairly near "A Mountain" where they have an annual fireworks display, so we'll have a good seat for that too.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th.

- Jack

ChuckD
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Staying at home watching fireworks from afar. Too many idiots on the roads for the holidays.

NHRA6002
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Watching my oldest daughters swim meet. I'm in Canada and this (July 1st) is are day, Canada day. We just got back from one of the local lakes, picnic and tubing with one of the other swim club families.

JWBFX4
Wed, July 1st, 2009, 10:56 PM
Looks like we will be hanging out on the lake all day and grilling. The only bad thing is I just found out they decided not to have the fireworks show at the lake for some reason...so guess we wont get to watch it from the boat this year.

phatbak
Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
We'll be at Hard Labor Creek all weekend. My wife hates camping, so we had to get one of the cottages :whatthe:

I miss shootin fireworks, when we were in Seattle, we'd get the good stuff from Muckleshoot (indian res.). The last 4th we had in WA, my buddies came over with a truckload of fireworks, it took 45 minutes to sweep up all the shredded paper and I had to help my neighbor hose down his 2nd story roof. :hehe:

good times I tell 'ya

Desert Racer
Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
it's my Birthday! :happy-dancing: Usually a huge block party,water fights and such,swimming,having a great time and lot of big booms! Hard for me to believe I made it another year. :hehe:

Corey Cohron RIP
Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Totally groovy! Happy early birthday!

BlackSTX
Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
NHRA6002- Happy belated Canada Day!
Here in Western NY, we have a celebration incorporating Canada Day and the Fourth. It's called the Friendship Festival and they have activities, concerts, and fireworks on both sides of the border from the 1st to the 4th. I'm several miles from the activities, but when they end them the fireworks show sound like continuous thunder for minutes.... When I lived south of the city, by the lake, you used to be able to go to the beach and watch the fireworks, they were very impressive.

Jack- Scottish are we? Me too, just a bit, MacIntosh clan. They're having a Scottish festival here in about a month and a half, and another one about a month after that up by Lake Ontario, really a good time. Bag pipes, bands, pole tossing competition, crafts, food, and Scottish/clan related items too. Really looking forward to it.

Since my programmer should be delivered tomorrow, I'll have to make some time to try our my new tunes.... so much for that quiet 4th I thought I was going to have; but I'd much rather give the throttle a little work out than sit home. Thundering exhaust always beats out thundering fireworks! :yesnod:

Jackpine
Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Jack- Scottish are we? Me too, just a bit, MacIntosh clan. They're having a Scottish festival here in about a month and a half, and another one about a month after that up by Lake Ontario, really a good time. Bag pipes, bands, pole tossing competition, crafts, food, and Scottish/clan related items too. Really looking forward to it.

I wondered about the "Braveheart" avatar. Yup, I do have a bit of Scottish blood. My last name is "Lyon", just like the Queen Mother's (my Father said we were related) and our Clan is Farquharson. I met Janet in our Scottish Country Dance group. If you look carefully, you can tell my avatar is a Celtic interlaced dog design.

Hope your programmer DOES arrive tomorrow, since Saturday is a holiday. It'd be hell to have to wait through the weekend!

- Jack

BlackSTX
Thu, July 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hey Jack, I kind of thought that was a celtic design, but was having a bit of difficulty making it out.
Yes, the Braveheart avatar is for a bit of my heritage, also a bit of my political views against what I feel is becoming a run amok government.

Our Scottish family name is Terrill (various spellings), which is part of the Mac Intosh clan as I mentioned earlier. My sister has researched much of our family, but has pretty much a dead end on the Scot side. My family goes way back in the U.S. mostly as Dutch traders in the early years; but there is also Mohawk (possibly Huron Indian), Polish, German, French, and Croatian all mixed in. A real Heinz 57.

As far as my tunes, they already arrived in Buffalo this morning, so they should be here.... But for some reason, even when things show up in Bflo the day before, they seem to arrive late in the PM at my door (I'm only about 10 miles from their terminal); even when the truck has been by my house at least once in the morning. I don't know how that works, but I'll be looking :disbelief: for it in the AM, if not I'll be chasing the truck down the street. My truck is just horribly lethargic on stock programming.

BTW..... Went to Mt. Lemon years ago. Was like a park back here, great views from there. I didn't realize they got snow there either... kind of neat.

Desert Racer
Fri, July 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Totally groovy! Happy early birthday!

Thank you! :woot:

BlackSTX
Fri, July 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
Desert Racer - Happy Birthday!