PDA

View Full Version : Not so "Smoke Show"

DIRTBIKEZ
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Why do I get substantially more smoke under heavy acceleration in my 100hp tune then then 120 smoke show? Thanks. :disbelief:

Jackpine
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Why do I get substantially more smoke under heavy acceleration in my 100hp tune then then 120 smoke show? Thanks. :disbelief:

Wonder if they were misnamed? Which one feels more powerful?

- Jack

DIRTBIKEZ
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The 120 smoke show feels more powerful i'm just not impressed with the smoke.

cleatus12r
Wed, July 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Can I get some specifics on your truck? I may be able to shed some light on your issue.

DIRTBIKEZ
Fri, July 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
2002 7.3L, tymar intake and 4" exhaust.

cleatus12r
Mon, July 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Well, being that you already have the "large" injectors, it seems that possibly you received two programs in the wrong spots on the chip. It's been known to happen to anyone.

However, in the case of correct placement, you are still not getting the desired results from a tune called "smoke show", there may be underlying issues with the truck or possibly a safety net Bill built in due to the substandard quality of the powdered metal connecting rods your truck has.

Sorry I'm not too much help here without actually SEEING the programming.

soutthpaw
Mon, July 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'm with cody, without being able to look at the file itself its impossible to say... It will smoke less as the RPM and vehicle speed increase as more of the fuel is getting used in the engine and also less load... I get a pretty good smoke off of the 100HP tune over 1/2 throttle and up off of idle...

is it the whole range that is not smoking or is there a certain condition that is not giving a lot of smoke

DIRTBIKEZ
Mon, July 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I burned the chip myself so I know it is not a position issue. The 100 file seems to fuel heavier at lower rpms resulting in more black smoke. The 120 smoke show lights the turbo so quickly the only smoke you see is gray under WOT pushing 25psi. Guess I was just expecting more as my last truck with similar mods, a DP tuner, zf6 and ABs would really roal some coal. :thumbsdwn:

cleatus12r
Mon, July 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
To me it sounds perfect but we all know how I hate excess smoke.........

The following is just a suggestion unless you want to get ahold of Bill and talk with him about what is going on. Don't get angry....it's just an option.
It's no big deal to rename the files in your computer. If you like the smoke that the 100 HP tune makes, just rename it "Smokeshow" and call the present smoke tune 120HP.

ON EDIT:

I just realized that I edited DIRTBIKEZ post instead of quoting. I HATE where the edit/quote buttons are.

Sorry, DIRTBIKEZ. I didn't mean to edit it. I didn't change anything.

soutthpaw
Tue, July 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM
you can always email the 2 files to me or cody and we can look at them and give you feeback. My smoke show is based on the 140HP. What elevation are you at? if you are above 4500 ft you are into the high altitude settings which can change your results
Do you have minotaur too or just the FU chip setup
PM me I can send ya my email addy or get me on AIM

cleatus12r
Tue, July 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
DJ,

Unless you have the .mdf for an 02-03 (which Bill likes VDH2) then looking at DIRTBIKEZ files won't do you any good. You could open his file with your VRAA6 but most of the values will be totally bogus.

soutthpaw
Tue, July 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
DJ,

Unless you have the .mdf for an 02-03 (which Bill likes VDH2) then looking at DIRTBIKEZ files won't do you any good. You could open his file with your VRAA6 but most of the values will be totally bogus.

I seem to remember bill said FN below 1200's were similar. a easy way for him to check would to be look at the low boost fueling which is a flat table at about 95 on the map for the smoke show...

cleatus12r
Tue, July 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I was looking at someone else's tuning and saw LBF at 115 in one tune.....:notallthere:

Dang tune runs good though. I would need a different turbocharger and forged/aftermarket rods to "trust" the tune for a drive longer than 5 minutes.

cleatus12r
Tue, July 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I seem to remember bill said FN below 1200's were similar. a easy way for him to check would to be look at the low boost fueling which is a flat table at about 95 on the map for the smoke show...

Yeah, it might be similar enough. It's like most of these different PCM families.....some tables "line up" between different families while most don't. Heck, even between similar families, most don't match.

DIRTBIKEZ could send it to you and you might get most of the maps to work with your definition file. It might be a good challenge for you.