PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day thoughts and prayers needed

ChuckD
Mon, December 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I got the word earlier that a brother in arms was killed on Christmas Eve. No words can express right now. When I was in Iraq and he was the gunner in the truck in front of me I always felt a relief. He was good at what he did and one of his jobs was to keep me safe when I was there doing what I did. He was killed by a rocket attack on the compound he was at in Afganistan. I am a member of the Patriot Guard but can't ride right now and I will be blowing smoke for him. If you want to join let me know and I will give you details
Cpl. Charles P. Gaffney Jr., 42, of Phoenix, Ariz., died Dec. 24 in Paktika, Afghanistan, when his combat outpost received enemy rocket fire. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.

chappy
Mon, December 29th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Power Hungry
Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
May we always remember those that gave their lives so that we can live free.

:us_soldiers:

Here's to :ranka-cpl: Cpl. Charles P. Gaffney Jr. - You may be gone but will not be forgotten.

Jackpine
Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Chuck, I think I know how you feel. I've been there too, at an earlier time, and it never seems to change. Please know my thoughts are with you brother, and, with our fallen comrade in arms. There's nothing any of us can do to make up for his loss.

- Jack

ChuckD
Mon, December 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Jack everything seemed to be going ok untill this. when I got tasked out as recovery on missions I was ok but when I found out he was the person in front of me it was a relief on my shoulders. I didn't have to worry about who had my back. Sad to say but even with some of the pansy waste that they let in now. I know I can handle my own but with all and everthying that went on I am glad to say I had someone that had my back that I didnt have to worry about weather they WOULD make the shot. He would and then ask was it center enough for me. I am looking at going back to duty after 14 months sitting sidline and am ready ok ok half assed ready but yeah I am ready. Trust me in military terms a profile is just a suggestion. And when I say this its not bull****ting. I would rather have 3 guys like him on my team that 8 that wasnt like hime. I know its hard for some people to understand but he was THE GUY that you would want with you when **** got deep. My wife and my families prayers goes out to his twins to know that their father was a HERO.

Corey Cohron RIP
Tue, December 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. We'll keep his families -- and you! -- in our prayers. :pray:

Thank you for sharing the information with us.

johnnyd
Tue, December 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Charles paid the highest price for defending his country. God bless him and his family.

Thoughts and prayers

:us_soldiers:

Jackpine
Tue, December 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Chuck, I know you're asking, "Why? Why is it that the good ones have to take the fall?" I've asked the same questions in another time, another war. I still have no answers - except one: It's the good ones who "hang it out" to get the job done. Sounds like your Brother in Arms was one of those.

My Father was a career Army officer (served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam). He had a philosophy that talked about "The Man Upstairs". He felt all of us were put here for a reason and that there was no way we could ever understand that reason. We simply had to live it out the best way we knew how. I suspect I've absorbed some of that philosophy myself. I feel we just need to go on and do everything we can to be honorable and true to those we love.

To lose someone who you have literally trusted with your life is a crushing blow. I can't make the hurt go away and I can't explain why this happened. All I know is, he lives on through his twins. And, maybe, that's the best any of us can hope for in this world!

Peace, my friend.

- Jack

Power Hungry
Wed, December 31st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Well put, Jack.