PDA

View Full Version : Slow day at work. What do [i]YOU[/i] do?

cleatus12r
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Well.....................

Here is another outstanding Tuesday that brings a whole lot of nothing through the door. :shrug: For those who don't know, I'm a Chevrolet dealer technician. :throwup: I've been doing this for a decade now and this is definitely a time where I constantly think about finding another line of work. Therein lies a problem; most other lines of work aren't hiring. :(

I have tried (albeit not too wholeheartedly :whistle1: ) to find other avenues of employment. From construction to postal work (Yeah, I've got guns!). I recently took my written tests for my commercial drivers' license because I was indirectly offered a potential job with the County road and bridge department. However, their offices and the County commissioners put a freeze on wages and new hires........argh. So here I sit with a learner's CDL with 3 endorsements and no truck to drive. :censored1:

I have grown accustomed to my pay here. It's pretty good considering that I am probably the highest-paid oil change monkey in the state. :hehe: Technical (and more importantly electrical) work has declined to the point where the most electronic/wiring repairs I make are the installation of brake controllers and trailer plugs. I can't even find a 4L60-E to work on; those used to be my bread and butter.....and I got really fat on them. :drool2:

So I do this. I sit and wait for something to come through the door. The bad part of that is the resulting boredom and lack of desire to do anything once I get "lazy" for the day. :disbelief: I am seriously considering the purchase of another laptop so my wife can do her computer stuff at home and I can bring mine to work and practice my newfound passion.....powerstroke tuning. :woot: I sit here and think of operational parameters and what changes to what would net the desired results. By the time I get home, I forgot what I was thinking about earlier......and I don't want to sit in front of the computer because my wife has been busy all day and I haven't seen her for 10 hours since I'm stuck here at work. :sigh:

Had to vent. This is getting really old.

Caforddude
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah the economy is hurting a lot of folks. My brother in law owns an independent shop here in Cali and while he used to be the boss, overseeing the work that was getting done he is finding he is having to do more work himself because he could afford to keep all his employees.

Hopefully their is an upswing soon.

Though selfishly, in my line of work, the bad economy is probably good for business. I am finding more and more law abiding citizens doing things they might have never done before and getting themselves into trouble with the law. Which is where I come in.

I don't mind takin a tweaker to jail fro robbing an old lady but having to take fathers and mothers to jail for stealing groceries and such is kinda a downer.

cleatus12r
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Though selfishly, in my line of work, the bad economy is probably good for business. I am finding more and more law abiding citizens doing things they might have never done before and getting themselves into trouble with the law. Which is where I come in.

I don't mind takin a tweaker to jail fro robbing an old lady but having to take fathers and mothers to jail for stealing groceries and such is kinda a downer.

I had no idea that was actually happening. Wow. I actually have expressed an interest in becoming a LEO too. Folks have forgotten how their actions affect everyone around them.

average-joe
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM
When i have nothing to do at work i go home.

Jackpine
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I had no idea that was actually happening. Wow. I actually have expressed an interest in becoming a LEO too. Folks have forgotten how their actions affect everyone around them.

People are getting desperate! These are hard times. I do hope the measures the current administration are taking will turn things around soon. Paul Krugman, Nobel Prize winner in Economics, had an opinion piece in our paper today. He figures the Government's actions have saved us from much worse. He says, in the 30's, the Government took a hands-off approach, the banking system collapsed, and this allowed us to sink into a depression.

Anyway, I'm hopeful. Any proactive approach has got to be better than just sitting by and saying "NO" to everything, like our beloved Arizona Senator Jon Kyle is doing. It honestly wouldn't bother me if these guys say no as long as they come up with some alternate plan that looks like it has a chance of doing something positive. They never seem to do this - they're very happy with the status quo.

- Jack

Circuit
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
...and see... in my line of work we are swamped since our Ontario Government is giving grants to municipalities to upgrade/repair their infrastructure. I drive truck for a sewer and water main company and there is a lot of work out there for us. :thumbs up yellow:

I average 62 hours a week.

Just an example of a government doing something positive. It doesn't happen often. :giggle:

Corey Cohron RIP
Tue, August 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
People are getting desperate! These are hard times. I do hope the measures the current administration are taking will turn things around soon. Paul Krugman, Nobel Prize winner in Economics, had an opinion piece in our paper today. He figures the Government's actions have saved us from much worse. He says, in the 30's, the Government took a hands-off approach, the banking system collapsed, and this allowed us to sink into a depression.

Anyway, I'm hopeful. Any proactive approach has got to be better than just sitting by and saying "NO" to everything, like our beloved Arizona Senator Jon Kyle is doing. It honestly wouldn't bother me if these guys say no as long as they come up with some alternate plan that looks like it has a chance of doing something positive. They never seem to do this - they're very happy with the status quo.

- Jack

Hey, Jack... any online link to that article that you know of?

Diesel Rookie
Wed, August 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Fortunatley for me I am in the drinking water industry for one of the bigest districts in California. We have a very old infastructure so there is always a pump or something else to fix.

Although in the summer when the plants are at full throttle because of water demand I have some down time. I usually find myself checking the PHP forum for interesting topics or shopping on the internet for parts I cannot afford.:doh:

Cody we have a maintenance department that is hiring people with comercial licenses.

Power Hungry
Wed, August 12th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Or worse, blowing all your cash in the gameroom! LOL

cleatus12r
Wed, August 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Cody we have a maintenance department that is hiring people with comercial licenses.

Thanks, but sunny California isn't my cup o' tea. :howdy:

average-joe
Wed, August 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Or worse, blowing all your cash in the gameroom! LOL

I blew it all:doh:!

Diesel Rookie
Wed, August 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM
No worries Cody. I was more kidding than serious. Sometimes this state drives me nuts :cursin: and I have lived here all my life.

Sburn
Thu, August 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Sometimes this state drives me nuts :cursin: and I have lived here all my life.

Yep, same story here. The climate and proximity to some family are pretty much the only things that keep my wife and I here in CA. See me location above? Nutcase central, right?

Jackpine
Thu, August 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hey, Jack... any online link to that article that you know of?

Corey et all - Sorry I've been so slow on this. Here's a link: http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/304320.php

I listen to him on the radio a lot. He seems to have it together.

- Jack

Caforddude
Fri, August 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
No slow day for me on Wed...

2 pedestrian street robberies, 1 victim ended up in the hospital with a head injury. Witness got license plate. Pursuit of vehicle near the 100mph mark.

2 suspects caught, 1 3 year old into child protective custody by Child Protective Services and two folks to jail.

Diesel Rookie
Fri, August 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Sburn I have to give you a lot of credit for living in Santa Cruz. I get very confused sometimes when I am their. That town is full of a lot of caracters.

Sburn
Fri, August 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Oh yeah, we got the characters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCvJfgjcKU

Longshot270
Fri, August 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
looked at the video and all I can say is "wwwoooowwwww", but some of the worst nuts are moving to central texas. TRUST ME. :smiley_roll1:

Diesel Rookie
Fri, August 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
PAINFUL:yikes2:

04FX4
Fri, August 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Come to Canada we have lots of work..