PDA

View Full Version : Need a diesel.

04FX4
Thu, September 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Ok I love my F-150 tows my trailer better then I thought, but want to upgrade to a larger truck and a diesel. I want to be able to tow my trailer and have a deck on the box with a couple of quads on it. I was wondering what people think would be the best truck and what year. I have heard so many bad stories about all the diesel engines, Ford Chev, dodge, I just dont want to buy a lemon. So lets here your thoughts.

soutthpaw
Thu, September 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
7.3 Ford Powerstroke... End of discussion :D

It depends on your budget too. if you give us an idea of what u want to spend on it they we can help you narrow the choices

jimmyv13
Fri, September 25th, 2009, 06:51 AM
7.3L PS

04FX4
Fri, September 25th, 2009, 05:23 PM
The 7.3are to old want a newer truck just not brand new.

Georgia Diesel
Fri, September 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
the 6liter is a good choice in my book..try and find a 05 and newer..the 6.4 has not been out long enough to be proven...alot of folks bad mouth the 6liter but i have one and will by another pretty soon...I work on duramax's and i like them alot. They are some great engines and are very fun to play with.. They all have there issues and problems, it kinda come down to your personal preference. I got a nice lly i will let go at a great price if interested :thumbs up yellow: . Just go and drive them all and see what one makes you happy.

ChuckD
Sun, September 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I know of too many 6.0s puking, head gaskets and stuff like that. Yes its all on a personal preferance. If I could have a 3126B in my F350 then it would be there. I do have a 7.3 and just went camping with the kids pulling a 1500 pound trailer and the bed full of stuff and got 19 mpgs. Each brand, make, has their flaws.

John Anderson
Mon, September 28th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I work on all three brands from 94 to 09. They all have their quirks. Almost all of the 05+ trucks are fantastic. Find which one you like the best and just pull the trigger.

soutthpaw
Tue, September 29th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Heh, ChuckD too bad CAT is getting out of the on highway engine business.. According to the press release I read a while back it was due to complying with the new emissions rules. I have not had a chance to drive any vehicle on road with the cat engines so I don't have much input there but they certainly know how to build heavy duty stuff.. Almost bought a truck from DRMO once that had a 3406 in it I believe... There was rumor for a while of toyota getting a cat engine into light duty trucks... which I knew was bogus due to them owning Hino...

I gotta say that I loved the inline 6 diesel I had in my 2000 UD (that is Nissan HD trucks) with the 6 speed tranny.

ChuckD
Tue, October 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I work for the Cat dealer here for my civilian job. It sucks because we are becoming a bumper to bumper facility now. I am still looking for an OBS with a blown motor for me to try it out. At least I got the hook up on parts for it.