PDA

View Full Version : Help me dad...

crayon929
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I need help with making a page with the forms and a submit button to make it shoot out an email. Do you have any lit I can read or somewhere I can look for help? Also I need a good app to build this site... any suggestions?

Jackpine
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I need help with making a page with the forms and a submit button to make it shoot out an email. Do you have any lit I can read or somewhere I can look for help? Also I need a good app to build this site... any suggestions?

I almost deleted your thread as "spam", but maybe you are a serious member.

I'm not sure anyone would understand what you're asking - I know I don't. Would you like to be a bit more specific?

- Jack

crayon929
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Bill (PHP owner) is my dad. He told me this is the best way to talk to him cuz he never answers my calls. So this is directed towards him.

Jackpine
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Bill (PHP owner) is my dad. He told me this is the best way to talk to him cuz he never answers my calls. So this is directed towards him.

:hehe: :hehe: Well, :doh: (Owner's Son) who would have thunk it? Hope you get a response soon!

- Jack

Corey Cohron RIP
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM
:howdy: Chris. I'll make sure he sees this.

For anyone else reading this post, the OP is our son Chris. Our oldest at 23. Former U.S. Marine. Father of our granddaughter, Jamie. We've talked about him before, or your may have seen me reference him in my signature at one point. :thumbs up yellow:

Okay, so how bad is that? :eek: Our son has to talk to us on the forum because we never leave our office! :disbelief: (If Wil and Liam start posting messages about "What's for dinner?" on here, it may be time to rethink things. :hehe:)

Corey Cohron RIP
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Jack, it threw me off for a minute, too!

crayon929
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thank you Corey... and when's dad gonna come tune my truck? And the whole Jack TPK thing... Jack the Pumpkin King from Nightmare Before Christmas... My fav cartoon character.

Corey Cohron RIP
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Didn't have to tell ME that, Chris! It's totally my favorite, too. While we were at Disney, we bought some new NBC goodies. :woot:

Power Hungry
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM
There are several apps to build websites from, ranging from inexpensive to "Holy Crap!".

We've used Front Page in the past (Microsoft calls it something else now) and it has worked reasonably well for us. There are other, less expensive applications that may work just fine for you and I'll see what I can dig up.

As for the forums, just go to www.vbulletin.com and check out what they have. In regards to forum software, they are reasonably priced and offer a forum for support and questions.

Start with these and we'll see what else you'll need as we go along.

Love ya.

Dad

88Racing
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM
(If Wil and Liam start posting messages about "What's for dinner?" on here, it may be time to rethink things. :hehe:)
No the bigger problem will be if they start posting to ask if they can have cookies!

BTW: Chris
Welcome to the forum!

Lars:2thumbs:

crayon929
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I need an example of how to make the forms and submit button work together to send an email.

Longshot270
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
:hehe: :hehe: Well, :doh: (Owner's Son) who would have thunk it? Hope you get a response soon!

- Jack

Whew, bet your glad you didn't delete it now. :hehe:

Jackpine
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yea - kinda :o But it would have been a "soft" delete that I could have recovered. Still, it WOULD have been embarrassing to "hammer" the boss's son!

And, I've forgotten my manners again - glad to have you join us Chris! :howdy:

- Jack

Power Hungry
Tue, October 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Don't worry about it, Jack. If he wants to hang around here he'll have to get used to getting knocked around a little. He gets no special privileges just because he's the boss'
son. :rofl:

Of course we'll cut him a little slack for being a Marine, but that's about it. :D

Chris, most html/web generators have some sort of form component in them. Because they almost always use JAVA Script, you can't usually just write simple HTML code and get any sort of results. You'll need to set it up within the development interface.

Let me know what you're using for an HTML editor and we can see what you'll need to do to make a form.

crayon929
Wed, October 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
So... do I need to get something to be able to use forms? For something like submiting and email? I'm using homestead.coms online drag and drop generator.

Power Hungry
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
If you're going to be doing more involved things like forms, you'll need to use one of the more complete web design packages. Most freebie Drag&Drop builders won't include things like forms.

Some popular design environments...

Adobe DreamWeaver
Microsoft Expression (Used to be Front Page)
Web Studio

I'll warn you, web development software isn't cheap and it isn't easy to learn. Plan on swinging by Borders or Barnes & Noble and picking up a good book or two on whatever software you settle on. Since most web hosting companies support Microsoft IIS Server Extensions and the software is comparatively cheap (cheap being a couple hundred vs. a couple thousand dollars) this might be the way to go.

Hopefully some others with web experience will offer some suggestions.

Corey Cohron RIP
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Chris, I've been playing with our website for the past two years, and as all of our customers can attest to... it's gotten much better than it was back in 2007! :hehe: It's amazing how much there is to be learned! I'm still learning, and although it's gotten WAY better, there's still so much I don't know how to do -- yet. ;)