PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Control Tuning?

theSLEEPER
Wed, October 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I often hear Matt Robinson talking about "smoke control tables? What do they do? Limit fuel by the boost that the MAP sees?

Power Hungry
Wed, October 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Exactly.

theSLEEPER
Wed, October 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks!

cleatus12r
Wed, October 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Just for the record, I've seen a tune that had 120 across the map.........

I never had the cajones to run it.

theSLEEPER
Thu, October 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Just for the record, I've seen a tune that had 120 across the map.........

I never had the cajones to run it.

120 means? No smoke control? Full fuel from any boost range? Like a cummings? LOL

cleatus12r
Thu, October 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Oh...sorry!

The Low Boost Fuel maps usually run from 30-100 (I'll guess percentage) based on MAP pressure. Going above 100 is probably going to give the same effect as youravatar.....just revving up. I have had no need to even try it.

theSLEEPER
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Oh...sorry!

The Low Boost Fuel maps usually run from 30-100 (I'll guess percentage) based on MAP pressure. Going above 100 is probably going to give the same effect as youravatar.....just revving up. I have had no need to even try it.

So... It would just shoot as much fuel as you commanded based off of throttle input? I wish I could build my own tunes... I'd have to try that... Just to see.

I'm gonna throw a quick question in instead of starting a thread.

How much can you control as far as shifting? Would there be a way to keep your truck from downshifting too soon? In case that's not clear. Pretend you're cruising in OD, and you want to "roll into it" semi aggresively, could you keep it from kicking down a gear until you hit, say 85% throttle?

My tunes are pretty good at it, I'm just trying to figure out if that's an option.

Can you PM me where you saw that tune?

ONE MORE THING. :doh:

Could you check out my buddy RedSmokey's thread on PSN? About the trouble they're having with the injectors buzzing... You're good with that stuff aren't you?

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43155

Power Hungry
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
It was originally though to be percentage, but have since found it to be MFD limit in mg/Stroke. The PCM is normally capped at 100 mg in several places which is why we limit that particular set of table to 100. Theoretically, you can raise it higher than that as long as the other fuel tables and the main fuel control parameters are raised as well. Otherwise, the excess values are ignored.

cleatus12r
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
It was originally though to be percentage, but have since found it to be MFD limit in mg/Stroke. The PCM is normally capped at 100 mg in several places which is why we limit that particular set of table to 100. Theoretically, you can raise it higher than that as long as the other fuel tables and the main fuel control parameters are raised as well. Otherwise, the excess values are ignored.

Well geez......

Good thing you're around to set the record straight :thumbs up yellow: .

Nope, nothing else was changed except for SOI, ICP, and fuel pulse width (not the multiplier). All parameters were left near stock except MAX IPR. It was one of us "Sniper Gang" guys that made it if that says anything. Very little actual knowledge until early last year....nobody ever told us it was the wrong way. :doh:

Bill, thanks for all of your input! It is greatly appreciated.

cleatus12r
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
So... It would just shoot as much fuel as you commanded based off of throttle input? I wish I could build my own tunes... I'd have to try that... Just to see. That's my guess...it was an "extreme" program.

I'm gonna throw a quick question in instead of starting a thread.

How much can you control as far as shifting? Would there be a way to keep your truck from downshifting too soon? In case that's not clear. Pretend you're cruising in OD, and you want to "roll into it" semi aggresively, could you keep it from kicking down a gear until you hit, say 85% throttle? A person can do A LOT with shift points. They're very limited by today's standards, but there is some flexibility. Yes, it's possible to have the PCM hold a gear longer before downshifting. I've never had the need or desire personally and it seems to me that most of the folks I've talked to around here HATE that the programming holds gears as long as it does anyway. By the time a downshift occurs, you're into the pedal big time and you get a near full-power downshift. You'd be amazed at how early most of my programs downshift. By the way, the "late" downshift you're talking about probably isn't due at all to changed shift functions, but because of the lack of accelerator input required to make the truck go. Shift functions are based off of accelerator pedal input and speed. When the same amount of power is being put to the ground at 10% APP with a specific program you're running that the stock program doesn't see until 75% APP, then the downshift will seem to occur later. Since by 75% APP with your tuning you are really putting some power to the ground (hopefully).

My tunes are pretty good at it, I'm just trying to figure out if that's an option.

Can you PM me where you saw that tune?

ONE MORE THING. :doh:

Could you check out my buddy RedSmokey's thread on PSN? About the trouble they're having with the injectors buzzing... You're good with that stuff aren't you? I don't make over-the-phone (or internet) diagnosis very often only because there is often a lack of communication and not all the details are there......I don't like spending other peoples' money or time if I'm not certain about something.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43155

See replies in RED .

theSLEEPER
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
That is the only issue I saw with the late downshift when I was typing that... But if I could stop it all together, I could just hit the OD button if I wanted to downshift early, right?

cleatus12r
Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
The only way I used to drive....even with "tow" tunes that tuners had......was to use the TCS button to lock out 4th gear.

Since I've started tuning for myself and others, the transmission isn't commanded to shift to 4th until a minimum of 57 MPH in the "heavy hauler" tunes since the 3-4 shift is a mutha on RPM loss. Besides that, the 4-3 downshift schedule is set up to closely follow the 3-4 upshift schedule so it downshifts with a lot less accelerator pedal input.

In addition, since the PCM will shift at a pre-determined RPM if the upshift speed exceeds a certain RPM in a certain gear (selectable in the tuning), I set the WOT shift RPM to 2700 RPM in 1-2/2-3 and 3300 RPM for 3-4. With upshift anticipation, the 1-2/2-3 shifts will occur between 2700 and 2900 depending on acceleration rate. Under heavy APP, the 3-4 shift will not occur until the accelerator pedal is released slightly or 3300 RPM is reached.

My towing tunes are set up to mimic a manual as much as possible....only with quicker shifting and no loss of boost.