PDA

View Full Version : So here is what we do with our Ford...

sam8
Mon, October 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Out here in the wde open west, the Great state of Nevada is only an hour from my home in Nor Cal. Between us, though, is this little hill called the Sierra Nevada, and a road called simply "Donner" by the locals.
The summit of that highway is 7200 ft.
Here we are, in the yard, loaded up and ready for a trip to the Nevada Desert.

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3310/15259Truck_camper_and_trailer_resize.jpg

Camper is about 4k full of water. In this pic I have the air bags on the truck down and the front on blocks to level it in the yard so the fridge will work while we load up. Trailer has a Kawasaki Teryx, tools, compressor, small welder, fuel jugs, ice chests, and a Honda 300ex quad in it. It is about 5500~.

Our Destination.
Sand Mountain, about 25 miles east of Fallon, Nevada... via U.S. 50.

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3310/15259Sand_Mountain_resize.jpg

The above pic was taken from about 3/4 mile away. The mountain is about 600 ft. tall, several miles long and was blown into this area by the prevailing winds when Ancient Lake Lahontan dried up way back when. It is now the ultimate sand box for kids of all ages.

Here is our camp, about 300 yards from the base of the hill.
My son has the trailer on the left, he pulls it with a Dodge, and my rig is on the right. The cabover has a full wall slideout, which makes it great for Cindy and I. This wa a family trip, both sons and their "significant others", for my birthday. We have been doing the dunes since before the boys were born, and have made many wonderful memories around the campfire and on the trails.

http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3310/15259SM_Camp_10_23_09_resize.jpg

With the new PHP Flex FU 2 chip, and Bill's programming, pulling the load over the pass was almost effortless. The 7.3 is very happy right now, and so is the owner..

ChuckD
Mon, October 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Very nice. I have been wanting to check out Glamis since is not to far from me.

sam8
Mon, October 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Very nice. I have been wanting to check out Glamis since is not to far from me.

Glamis is to sand dune people as to Miami or Waikiki is to beach people.
You need to check it out at least once, but don't assume that all the people and machinery you see at Glamis is the norm for the rest of the dunes or duners.
Glamis sand is very fine, almost like powder. There are some fairly big dunes there...but if you get hooked on plating in the sand, then out near Baker is a place called Dumont. Much larger dunes, a much more laid back attitude. Dumont sand is courser than Glamis.
This sport is a barbed hook, tho. Once you bite it, you are going to have a hard time shaking it off..;)

88Racing
Mon, October 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Great pics!
:2thumbs:
Lars

cleatus12r
Mon, October 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
With the new PHP Flex FU 2 chip, and Bill's programming, pulling the load over the pass was almost effortless. The 7.3 is very happy right now, and so is the owner..

That's what we like to hear. Good tuning breathes a lot more life and enjoyment out of these old dinosaurs.

:2thumbs:

JWBFX4
Mon, October 26th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Always nice getting out and having fun. Great pics.