PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying!

BlackSTX
Mon, November 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Had a customer stop in today inquiring about programmers. Since we are primarily 6.5L GM diesel I wasn't able to assist him w/ his desire for 7.3L Powerstroke too much. On the bright side, I passed along info about Power Hungry. Despite having already ordering a hypertech, he seemed to be interested in the Edge/Gryphon..... after all, I plugged Bill's expertise with programming and showed him the website, doing my best to sell him on the quality and features....not to mention the great service......
Since he's not looking for massive power gains, rather hoping to improve mileage, he may be lucky with the hypertech; but, I still think he'd be better off with a strictly economy tune from Bill.

In any event, I'm sure if he investigates here some more, all of you 7.3L guys can really help him out too.

Jackpine
Mon, November 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks, BlackSTX! :thumbs up yellow: This is how Bill and Corey have really built their business, from recommendations by satisfied customers (friends) like you and me. Hope he shows up here and Cleatus12r (Cody) gets to talk to him.

- Jack

BlackSTX
Mon, November 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Jack, it's never a problem to steer people to a place where they'll get the help they seek. If you can't assist them yourself, but you can point them to someone who can, you've done a service for both.
Besides, this forum is a place where someone can get help without the antics associated with some of the other sites. I think we're all adult enough here to realize some people preferences don't match with ours, and that doesn't mean we have an excuse to belittle or ridicule them for it. That is one simple reason why I would gladly send someone here for answers.

cleatus12r
Mon, November 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'll help him if you can help me with a 6.5L problem :hehe:

Seriously, I can sell ketchup popsicles to women in white gloves.

:)

Jackpine
Mon, November 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Tad, we're definitely on the same wavelength! You said it perfectly! :2thumbs:

Cody, ketchup popsicles? You didn't tell me about this talent when we were in Vegas. What the heck else were you hiding?

- Jack

BlackSTX
Tue, November 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hey Cody! You probably aren't surprised by the number of mechanics and service writers who don't know much, if anything about diesels. In fact, one of the service writers I worked with admitted to running from the desk when a diesel came in the shop. Some of the guys I worked with years ago would outright refuse to touch them too.
While I have not personally worked on a diesel in years, I never ran from them, I wanted to learn more. I actually love the 6.5L turbo trucks I got to drive, and would love to buy one if I could find one at a good price that was still rust-free.

I'll pass on a popsicle though..... ketchup isn't my flavor.

cleatus12r
Tue, November 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Diesels ARE my speciality. However, the 6.5L has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I actually have a guy here that has souped up his '98 with injectors, an intercooler, aftermarket turbocharger, etc.

He just put a new long block in it since he blew the last one up (go figure :doh: ) and now the dang thing just won't run worth a crap. White smoke (unburned fuel) at anything above an idle. I can't advance the injection timing enough to even do the TDC learn. The marks on the pump and the front cover are 5/16" off (advanced) and it still needs to go more. I told him to pull the front cover and see if the timing marks on the cam and pump gear were lined up. He said they were. I was out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Dang I love electronically injected diesels.

ChuckD
Tue, November 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Thats why I like the 6.5 in the humvees.

BlackSTX
Wed, November 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Funny thing Cody, we had a guy with a similar issue a few weeks ago. Had an new/reman engine done and is now having a similar issue... white smoke. Also says it's runs like a gas engine which is too rich; seems like it loads up at idle, but if he gets it up to speed and hammers on it a bit, it clears up. We're scratching our heads at this too. He insists that the mechanic who tested the compression for him says it's good on all cylinders, however we suspect he may be losing it somewhere accounting for the white smoke, though the timing issue you mention seems like it could also be something to consider.
My understanding is that if you have the compression it should burn, and additional fuel will give you black smoke..... However, if you're injecting fuel past TDC or too late, I imagine it could lead to this condition; that seem correct?

When I worked at a Chevy dealership, we had a local fleet with loads of 6.5L naturally aspirated trucks. They were bringing in an average of 2 trucks a week with knocks, or rods out the side. Most of the trucks were all near 100k and '93-4 models too, if I remember correctly.
One of our truck guys said the 6.5 is a good motor, but most people either lug them or wind them up too high, too often, and it will kill them quick.

I'll check you situation with the owner where I work, he's the one ask, he's worked on them for years. Perhaps with what you have come across it may shed a little more light on the problems both of our customers are having.

907DAVE
Thu, November 19th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Grrrrr........GM 6.5's are fun. They use to have a BUNCH of those they used on the north slope for the pipeline guy's, and they have been slowly trickling down to us for years. Not many left but there still around. Got one in the shop now with a cracked block(not again:)). I cringe every time I see one in the lot waiting to get fixed. And I LOVE diesels............... just not those.

BlackSTX
Thu, November 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Diesels ARE my speciality. However, the 6.5L has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I actually have a guy here that has souped up his '98 with injectors, an intercooler, aftermarket turbocharger, etc.

He just put a new long block in it since he blew the last one up (go figure :doh: ) and now the dang thing just won't run worth a crap. White smoke (unburned fuel) at anything above an idle. I can't advance the injection timing enough to even do the TDC learn. The marks on the pump and the front cover are 5/16" off (advanced) and it still needs to go more. I told him to pull the front cover and see if the timing marks on the cam and pump gear were lined up. He said they were. I was out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Dang I love electronically injected diesels.

Here's what I learned about getting this thing set up. Using Tech2 to disable the stepper motor you can then get it to learn TDC. Any movement of the crank sensor will require it to be relearned. Disregard any marks on the pump or cover.... as I was told: "They shouldn't be there, they were probably made by someone at some other time." I scratched my head at that too, but after looking at a reman pump we had, there were no marks on it. (?)
But the owner said if you have any questions you're more than welcome to email him, he's happy to help out. Walt, the owner, responds to all tech questions personally, and usually responds to questions within a day. http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/contact.html
Just be sure to include all the info you have about the truck and what this guy has done to it, the tech form asks you for this too.
Walt is a good guy, very knowledgeable, and like Bill, doesn't believe in selling you something he hasn't proven to be a benefit. Drop him a line, I'm sure he can help you figure out what is going on with this guys truck.