PDA

View Full Version : CNG vehicles... anyone mess with them

soutthpaw
Thu, December 10th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Just bought a 1999 Dodge cargo van at auction its a CNG only but I figure I will take a few accessories off it and hopefully sell it for a few bucks profit...
only had 37K miles on it...
Thinking I may convert it to gasoline.. not sure what is involved other than a tank, fuel lines pump and prob PCM... Colorado sucks for CNG only one company has stations and you need a fueling card account. I used to have a card for them but lost it long ago after I sold the CNG Crown Vic I had....
But will prob ebay or craigslist it as New Mexico and Utah have cheap CNG...
these vehicles are great in big city areas where u can use car pool lane and lots of fueling stations to choose from.....

Maybe I should use the parts to make a CNG/diesel 7.3 hybrid
I read an interesting article on some research study where they went from 15 to 40 MPG running Diesel/CNG instead of just diesel
I wish there was a better national CNG infrastructure. with no byproducts of combustion the oils stays super clean and very nice on the engines. 25K mile oil changes are nice too

cleatus12r
Fri, December 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I know a little about CNG but I have a lot of experience with LPG as I ran it in my 76 F-200 (long story on the 200 part) all through high school. I couldn't argue with $0.26 to $0.40 per gallon.

The benefits are many with that stuff though. I wouldn't run CNG as a supplement in a diesel engine though...too much risk with high combustion pressures. Besides, it's far too much of a "fad" or designer drug at the moment.

Sburn
Mon, December 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
CNG...
these vehicles are great in big city areas where u can use car pool lane and lots of fueling stations to choose from.....

Friend of mine bought a CNG van for dirt-cheap (surplus airport shuttle, E350, 9-passenger) just so he can drive alone in the car pool lane. Cuts his commute time in half for the cost of only $800 bucks instead of $20K - $40K for a hybrid or electric. Lot safer in traffic than a motorcycle.