PDA

View Full Version : PMR to Forged Swap

choupique108
Thu, December 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I finally found a set of forged rods:happy-dancing:. They are coming out of a 99 powerstroke. I would like to know if anyone know and tips, tricks, hints, or anything that would help me out when doing this.

Thanks guys.:thumbs up yellow:

cleatus12r
Thu, December 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM
It helps to have money.

Plan on a total rebuild if you decide to do this job simply because it requires a total teardown anyway. You don't necessarily need new pistons, and if your cylinder walls are in good shape, a mild hone job with a "turdball" hone will help with new rings.

Be sure to check all pistons for cracks. The cracks will be in the piston bowl area extending into the crown if there are any.

907DAVE
Thu, December 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I finally found a set of forged rods:happy-dancing:. They are coming out of a 99 powerstroke. I would like to know if anyone know and tips, tricks, hints, or anything that would help me out when doing this.

Thanks guys.:thumbs up yellow:

Polish the rods........just remove all the casting lines from the beams of the rod and blend it smooth. Then have all the rods shot peened/ heat treated and then balanced. This wont make the rods handle much more power but will make them last alot longer under higher power levels. And like Cody said, plan for the worse, when I did my rod swap I changed ALL the bearings and gaskets and did a thorough inspection of all other components. Everything in the motor looked good, but since I had it all apart I figured it was added insurance to do everything now and not have to worry later.

Good Luck

Dave

choupique108
Fri, December 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Well as far as performance and prevenative maintenence im thinking about doing a set of studs, DI pushrods, 910 valve springs and the rods