PDA

View Full Version : GM Owners

907DAVE
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
You can help feeling sorry for them. Now I am not saying other makes dont have issues, but damn. The impression I get from GM is there a bunch of grumpy old men. Will they ever change? Just poor design's repeated over and over. For those who work in shop's, how may tie rod ends, ball joints, power steering hoses, front axle seals, and my favorite, FUEL PUMPS have you changed? I see GM owners dumping money hand over fist into these things only to have something else fail, leak, or whatever, everyday. GM alone probably makes up 75% of my work load, I guess I should be happy because of a little extra job security.......but jeesshh.

Sorry....rant over.

cleatus12r
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
See signature.

Job security buddy.

majek5
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
My brother-in-law just bought a new Buick Lacrosse. In less than 1 1/2 months it has been in the shop 4...count em...4 times. First time they had it for over a week. Something caused the engine to die, which in turn caused raw fuel to dump into the cat, which burned the cat up. What a P.O.S!!!! And, to add insult to injury, the dealer says nothing is wrong with the car. He took the $500 instead of the option to return the P.O.S in the 60 day window. Poor bastard. Govt Motors...gotta love em:smiley_roll1:

cleatus12r
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Since 1999:

These are issues that I have seen that have gone uncorrected/unfixed for nearly a decade. They still build a lot of these vehicles with these problems.

4T60E pressure control solenoids
Intermediate steering shafts (cars and trucks)
"N" car fuel pumps
Blazer/S10 truck fuel pumps (at least they don't make these hunks anymore)
C/K fuel pumps
S/T Lower ball joints
Duramax front wheel bearings
2500/3500 transfer cases (pump locating tab through housing)
Inner tie rod ends on C/K
Transmission cooler lines on 05-09 Allisons
Forward sprags on 4L60
Sun shell in 4L60
Rear driveshaft slip yoke on C/K (clunk/squak)
Daytime running light bulbs on C/K
Body control modules on 00-03 W cars (Impala/Monte)
Fuel pressure regulators on any car/truck
Intake manifold gaskets. 2.8, 3.1, 3.4L Coolant leaks
Intake gaskets 4.3L, 5.7L, 7.4L coolant leak
Intake gaskets 5.3, 6.0L vacuum leak
Oil consumption 8.1L
Power steering pump shaft failure 8.1L/Duramax
Allison converter housing bolt leaks
Catch all for all the programming crap that has to be redone every 3 months when GM "fixes" another drivability/emission control failure problem.

I'm not saying that every other manufacturer is infallible and never makes any mistakes. These are just what I see which is why I drive a Ford. I don't know about their repeat failures (save for the 6.0L :doh: )so I will say that ignorance is bliss.

If I worked for Ford I'd probably drive Dodges.

majek5
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
My brother in law, another one, had a 2007 1/2 ton chevy that 3 different times, over a two year span, the battery would completely die. It would jump with no problem and be fine. Dealer found nothing wrong with the truck. He traded that one in for a 2008 3/4 ton chevy, he don't learn to quick, and had the same problem with that one too. It only happened once so far. Has anyone heard of that happening, or did he get 2 lucky trucks?

The only thing that runs good on a Dodge is the drivers mouth!

907DAVE
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Very detailed post Cody, thanks almost forgot about the oil cooler lines, and the intake leaks which I would have to say are the most irritating on the 5.7 Vortec's, pays well though! :woot:

Longshot270
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
For those who work in shop's, how may tie rod ends, ball joints, power steering hoses, front axle seals, and my favorite, FUEL PUMPS have you changed? I see GM owners dumping money hand over fist into these things only to have something else fail, leak, or whatever, everyday.
Whew then I'm not crazy. I figured that was isolated to some guys I know that spend too much time playing in mud puddles. I figure if its that important to get myself across and back I'll get my kayak. :hehe:

The only thing that runs good on a Dodge is the drivers mouth!
Haha that is SOOO true. :really-lmao:

Well but my dad drives a sterling company truck with the commercial cummins and he loves it. But since that is not a dodge by name I guess its ok. haha

88Racing
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM
A couple more that Cody overlooked.
Gauge Clusters.
Oil Cooler lines on any gm vehicle that has them.
Tranny cooler lines on any gm vehicle that has them.
Exhaust manifolds cracking on 5.7 + 6.0.
Intermitent Wiper controller circut board.
Transfer case shifting issues and noise.
I'm sure I'll think of some more!

907DAVE
Wed, January 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Forgot about all those too.......keep them coming.

cleatus12r
Thu, January 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
99-07 Classic C/K window regulators
99-07 Classic door speakers

907DAVE
Thu, January 7th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Tail light circuit board, exterior door handles, front differential actuator, Transfer case clutch pack's, Transfer case encoder motors.

cleatus12r
Thu, January 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Encoder sensors on 03-07 trucks.

88Racing
Thu, January 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
6.0L manufactured before 2003 developed piston slap at relatively low miles.

cleatus12r
Fri, January 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
6.0L manufactured before 2003 developed piston slap at relatively low miles.

All of the LS series engines did. However, I think that the 3.1L V6 was GM's first introduction of mass-produced piston slap when they redesigned the short-skirt pistons in '96 or so.

I have had the unfortunate pleasure of telling hundreds of worried or irritated customers that "the sound is normal". They didn't care much for that. :D

88Racing
Fri, January 8th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Steering column rattle in c/k series. 2003-2005
Steering linkage issues in c/k series. 2003-2005
I forget what their called but in the lumina body series the rear brake adjuster would sieze up and you'd have to replace the whole dam assembly.

907DAVE
Fri, January 8th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Should we do one for Ford?:giggle:

:D

88Racing
Fri, January 8th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Should we do one for Ford?:giggle:
:D
I thought that's what this forum is about!!!:smiley_roll1:

BlackSTX
Wed, January 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hey, they all have some issues; some more than others. When I worked Ford parts, the list wasn't a whole lot shorter; though I can admit they fixed some things pretty quickly, or kept trying to until they got it right. Over my time at the last dealership, the list of common things became shorter, which meant they were staring to get things right.

On the other hand, they didn't do such a good job with Jaguar. The early X-Type list would have looked more like the entire parts catalogue; including the "A" pillars and rockers that would rot out on the early production years.

907DAVE
Wed, January 13th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Exactly! I think the difference between GM and other manufactures, is that the others will admit to their mistakes and find a better way. Where GM seems to turn a blind eye and ignore their faults and just keep on truckin. Now I am not saying the "others" don't have any faults, but they do have the ability to learn from their mistakes and move on.