PDA

View Full Version : Hubs

Buddy Starr
Sat, January 16th, 2010, 07:55 PM
No problems...:thumbs up yellow: just looking to maintain my pride and joy.

My question... on a 2003 7.3 do the hubs need any maintenance? I've been all over the internet with no success. Everything i have found tells me how they work, but no mention of maintenance. (just thinking of repacking with grease)

Have a friend of a friend with a 2001 who said he did his. Also have a friend of a friend who WAS (key word) a ford mechanic that said no maintenance required. Anyway, thanks for any help!

cleatus12r
Sat, January 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
There is not any maintenance that you can really do to the front unit-hub bearings. However, I have packed them by using a standard grease gun and pumping grease into the ABS sensor hole. Does it do any good? Who knows. I just do it for the peace of mind.

907DAVE
Sat, January 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Are you talking about the locking hubs, or wheel bearings?

Buddy Starr
Sat, January 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the info Cody.

907 Dave: Locking hubs.

907DAVE
Sat, January 16th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Well in that case, you do not want to put any grease in their. The only thing that you could grease would be the axle shaft thrust washers, they sit right behind the hub and are held in with a snap ring.

Buddy Starr
Sat, January 16th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks Dave.

hayjayhorses
Sun, January 17th, 2010, 10:00 PM
i like to take my hubs apart clean them and them put some synthetic marine grease in them, not to much it will cuase cause the intermedate gear to hang up in the lock position.

In the past few weeks i have worked on 3 superdutys that had at least one hub stuck in the lock position, when I pulled them apart the were all dry and had a lot of dust in them.

I would keep an eye on the outer axle shaft seal. If that goes to hell the little axel shaft bearing follows shortly after. you need a special tool to drive thoes seals in, i don't know what the part # is bought mine on ebay for $35

choupique108
Sat, January 23rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
I have some new take offs for sale. PM me if you want em