PDA

View Full Version : tourque convertor

epowers777
Sun, February 21st, 2010, 03:05 AM
How do I know if i have a aftermarket torque converter. Can I remove the dust cover and look? What would I look for.

907DAVE
Sun, February 21st, 2010, 05:32 AM
Yupp...just drop the cover and take a peek.

Usually aftermarket converters will be painted a certain color and will have a billet cover. The stock converters will be unpainted and have noticeable grooves in the front cover, looks like ribs that run horizontal with the tranny, and the billets will be smooth.

epowers777
Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
I looked at the tourque convertor and it looks new. Its really shiny and it looks gray maybe tad silver. It was dark. Here is a pic. How can i find out what brand and what it can handle?

Georgia Diesel
Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
suncoast are a greyish color and ats are purple..I f it is some other kind of aftermarket other than these im not sure what they are

epowers777
Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
How do I know if the tranny is after market or not? It looks like a suncoast wonder if the tranny is too. So what does that mean 140 hp chip no problem :evillol:

Georgia Diesel
Mon, February 22nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
well thats hard to say, if the trans was bought from suncoast it will be painted grey also...now it could be the original case with a suncoast kit in it. that someone painted grey..humm:shrug: