PDA

View Full Version : News member, New truck, looking for input

amcguru
Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky enough to stumble across a clean & low mile '03 7.3 Excursion at a very fair asking price. I have been looking for a while and I'm pretty well set on a PHP tune but I have a few questions.

I'm considering the following:
1) Phoenix w/65 dd, 40 tow, stock and high idle tunes.
2) Intake (AIS w/fender sleeve or AFE)
3) MBRP or Banks exhaust (witch ever is quieter).
4) Possible torque converter upgrade (Precision/ATS/Suncoast)
5) Early style compressor wheel (not sure if it's worth while at this level)

I would like the truck to perform similar to a stock 6.0 when unloaded but I don't want to add so much that drivetrain reliablity becomes an issue. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
:)

cleatus12r
Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
First off, you seem to be on the right track as far as modifications go.

Get yourself a pyrometer (EGT gauge) at a minimum and have fun driving it. Your calibration choices sound good to me as do the intake and exhaust modifications. I wouldn't worry about changing the compressor impeller until you know whether or not you are going to have surge issues. Believe it or not, the early wheel, albeit less likely to surge, actually flows less air and is not as efficient as the stock wheel. So hold off on that until you know you need it.

Oh, and I wouldn't want my truck to run like a 6.0L. I like my engine to actually do something below 2200 RPM. :cheesy smile:

amcguru
Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks. I forgot to mention that guages are on order.

Robert6401
Mon, March 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Believe it or not, the early wheel, albeit less likely to surge, actually flows less air and is not as efficient as the stock wheel. So hold off on that until you know you need it.

Cody, this is the first time I have heard this. I was planning to upgrade to a Wicked Wheel to eliminate the surging I get, but am not crazy about the fact that it will flow less air. What causes them to have more of a whistle?

cleatus12r
Mon, March 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
That's how surge is eliminated: Less airflow at relatively low compressor wheel speeds. By looking at a compressor efficiency map, the surge line is on the far left of the "island" where the pressure ratio is too high for the actual airflow through the compressor. In simpler terms, the boost is too high for the actual amount of airflow through the engine and the compressor flow comes way out of it's efficiency range.

A ported compressor housing (such as the ATS unit) also slightly lowers flow.

The noise is simply a function of the impeller design. The staggered-height vanes aren't as "clean" as the standard 99.5-03 impellers as far as chopping up the air is concerned.

epowers777
Tue, March 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
I heard the earlier trucks had the wicked wheel is that true? I would do the 80 hp daily seems to work the best for me and Im mostly stock. Mpg I mean!

907DAVE
Tue, March 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Yup........same wheel.