PDA

View Full Version : which trasmission valve body is recommeded?

PowerStrokeCAM
Sat, May 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I am about to change my transmission oil but as i do that might as well replace my stock valve body . (two birds on stone).What after market valve body would PHPs tunes works best with??:):hmmm:

epowers777
Sun, May 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM
I am not sure what one is the best but do a search on Google. I have been looking at tranny stuff and stumble across it. There's a guy here named Dave who lives in alaska ask him he's really good with aftermarket stuff. Read my mod posting and you will find dave so you can e mail.him.

Tholt34
Sun, May 30th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Well the 2 big names that come to mind, are a BTS valve body or a John Woods valve body. I'm sure bill has info on how to tune for both of those since there the biggest names i think.

907DAVE
Mon, May 31st, 2010, 04:22 PM
I would look into a Transgo Tugger 2 Reprogramming kit.

You can do this yourself and is very simple. If you look at it as a whole it can seem very overwhelming, lots of springs and other doodads. Just focus on one thing at a time and you will do fine. There is a pump mods that you will not be able to do without pulling the tranny, but you can save this for later.

Another one of the pump mods (from Transgo) is a valve that wont allow the TCC to lock until 60% DC (depending on year of your tranny), which is nice but not necessary with your PHP chip.

The BTS or JW valve body's are good as well, if you dont mind spending extra $$$. IIRC BTS designed the kit for Transgo so you are getting the same thing anyways.

muns53
Fri, July 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
I am due for tranny fluid and am thinking of doing the same thing. I was looking at the Factory Tech Valve Body (by Gregg Evans) - $225 at Dieselsite.com.

QUESTION: Do my tunes need to be modified if I put this in? (I have three right now: 80HP Diesel, 80HP Veggie, 65HP Veggie.)

Thanks in advance.

muns53
Wed, August 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Anyone know if tunes need to be modified if I add a valve body?

cleatus12r
Thu, August 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
The Factory Tech valve body is VERY aggressive and will require tuning changes....your shifts will snap your neck.

Is there any reason other than "I'll be there anyway" that you want to change it?

DND58
Thu, August 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
New guy here and subscribing.

Dean

muns53
Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Cleutus - thank you for the info! "snap your neck" is a bit too aggressive for me!

I decided not to do a valve body this go-round. I was just thinking it would be a good thing to do for the future of the tranny and preparation for towing.

What are your thoughts on this?

cleatus12r
Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
The valve body upgrade is simply to allow crisper, more positive shifting. It doesn't address any weaknesses inherent to the 4R100 transmission.....meaning it doesn't make the transmission any stronger. It simply allows a mechanical way of making the shifts occur more quickly without slightly increasing transmission line pressure electronically during the shifts.

If it wasn't clear (I have a habit of oversimplifying stuff sometimes) the valve body alone will not cause harsh upshifts. The valve body will cause neck-snapping shifts when combined with aftermarket tuning that increases transmission pressure during shifts......in which case we would leave the stock transmission tuning in place if you have a valve body upgrade.

tomtom
Fri, September 17th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I had one installed before I got my PHP and it wasn't that harsh.

cj45lc
Sat, September 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the explanation Cody. The way mine shifts now is great IMHO so I'm gonna leave it alone unless someone can convince me otherwise. When I made my 3500 mile trip in Aug it shifted great & temps never got above 180-190 pulling 9-10k lbs & it was darn near 100deg crossing Kan.