PDA

View Full Version : Propane

Diesel Rookie
Tue, June 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM
I recently inherited a propane kit from a buddy of mine who got rid of his 2002 F350 7.3L. He removed the injection kit from it and gave it to me.

Before install it I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and what they thought? I also want to know if I need to have Bill change my tunes.

Thanks

Joe

907DAVE
Tue, June 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Sell it!

Seriously you do not want to use it, it can lead to catastrophic engine failure in a hurry.

If you decide you do, use it in VERY VERY low amounts.

Diesel Rookie
Wed, June 2nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Intersting catastrofic failure is bad.:thumbsdwn: Now you are making me nervous

My buddy ran it for a few years and never had any problems said it was great. It increased his gas millage and made it feel slightly more powerful on the hill climbs. The kit reads boost and moderates propane volume by boost pressure. You can set at what point or boost pressure to have it start bleeding in and then for the next 20 psi it increases exponentially to wide open. I was thinking of having it crack open at 2-3psi so this way I can get the fuel millage advantages.

Has anyone else out there experience bad things with propane?

PowerStrokeCAM
Wed, June 2nd, 2010, 09:14 PM
is that kit called the super chip dpi?? i heard they use to make them and then the stopped.

Diesel Rookie
Fri, June 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I forgot to look at the kit name last night I will check tonight when I get home.

Jeremy
Fri, June 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Your just asking for it, especially since you have a 03 with PMR's. If it was a 99 or 00 you would probably be ok in small doses.

I had it on my 00 for 9 yrs and finally took it off, I never blew the engine but I did'nt see the mpg gain vs. cost of the additional propane to justify it. It had a nice power gain though.

hayjayhorses
Sat, June 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I can by propane for $1.55 per gallon this week, the most I paid this past winter was $2.19, I was thinking about using it in my GMC TopKick with the cummins 5.9 (if I ever get it together).

If I bought propane bulk 1000+ gallons I could get it for $1.40 per gallon this week. This is if I had a big tank and a pump station (I am looking)

I put like 1500-2500 miles per week on my truck that I drive. Last week between 3 trucks I spent $2500ish :cry-blow: on diesel, this will happen many weeks all summer long.:thumbsdwn:but i am making $$$:thumbs up yellow:

I want to burn cheaper fuel, not make more power.

I was thinking of putting a less aggressive fuel plate in the cummins and running propane.