PDA

View Full Version : Water in oil

epowers777
Wed, June 9th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Would pulling the injectors allow water to leak into the oil? I just pulled the oil plug to change the oil and water poured out. i inspected the coolent and there is on oil in water. A month ago I sucked oil out to get tested and hot plated it and no water in oil? So what do you think is going on? Should I stop putting the pipes and dtuff back on?

Ps I pulled injectors to change and rebuilt fuel bowl. sitting like a month.
Also I pressure washed the ingine whole turbo was off. the intake was covered with backs ziptied to it.

907DAVE
Wed, June 9th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Only way pulling injector's can get water in the oil is if the injector cup (what the lower half of the injector sits in) came out, or came unseated allowing coolant to drain down into the cylinder. If the cup was cracked you would have fuel in the coolant or vice-versa when the truck was running.

Are you sure it is not just diesel fuel that had not mixed with the oil yet?

epowers777
Wed, June 9th, 2010, 11:23 PM
It seems that it was water. Im guessing 17 fl oz. The turbo oil line does that go directly onto the oil pan. Im wondering if when I was pressure washing the engine I sprayed water into that and it went into the oil.
Would it be safe to fill her up with fresh oil drive to work and do a hot plate check say everyday for a week to make sure it was my mess up and not a bad head?

907DAVE
Wed, June 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Yes, the big hole on the turbo pedestal is a direct shot to the oil pan.

I would drain as much out as I could, fill with fresh oil, and run her a while. You are going to want to change it out alot sooner than normal as there is only so much water oil can "absorb". In the meantime you will want to keep a very close eye on oil level and condition. If the level keeps increasing or the color of the oil turns milky you will want to stop driving and fix your leak.

epowers777
Thu, June 10th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the help. I know what to look for we get this all the time in our locomotives. I will keep you posted.