PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

ChuckD
Tue, February 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM
While in Iraq I baught a Harley 883C. Now with the meds that I am on I am not supposed to ride. Its an 06 with less than 3000 miles on it and just sits. I owe 2400 on it and dont use it. Now I know its cool to say I got a Harley in the garage but I am a usefull person. I got a chance to work out a trade for a 95 GT that is Pacific Green with 117k on it and really clean. In the trade the bike would get paid off and I would get the car therefor not having anymore payments. Would you make a trade like this? The only thing is the car is a stick and the wife wont drive a stick. Not that its a bad thing but my wife is my best friend and we do everything together. I know a 4R swap would be in the future if I did it.

Cajun
Wed, February 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
That's a real drag you can't ride anymore. I'm not sure I'd follow doctor's orders, but that's just me. I'll never give up riding as long as I'm breathing. I'd figure something out, even if I had to go to a trike.

That being said, if you're not using it, I'd make the trade. Maybe you can teach your wife to drive a standard, I know when I taught my wife (also my best friend) to ride a motorcycle it was a great bonding experience between the two of us. I bet if you taught her how to dump the clutch and light up the tires she might like a standard a little better. ;)

By the way, thank you for going to Iraq for us, I for one really appreciate what you folks do for us.

Jackpine
Wed, February 11th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I think I'm going to take the other side here. You really don't owe that much on the bike and it's brand new (almost). The GT, while "clean" is 14 yrs old (probably worth less than $2000 if it were totaled in a collision) and at 117K miles is at an age where things start to need replacement on a regular basis.

Personally, I think the guy with the GT is getting a screaming good deal on this and you're not. Have you looked at Blue Book values on these machines? I just did a VERY quick search and found two 2006 883Cs being offered in the $6000.00 price range. I looked at Blu Book values for 1995 GTs in excellent condition with that mileage, and without knowing anything about "features" on it, found the "excellent" private party sale price is $3,590.

Could you sell the bike yourself, for cash maybe? You don't really need a third vehicle, do you? Here at DM, we've got a used vehicle lot where people can sell their cars, trailers, RVs, whatever. I've used it twice and gotten Kelly Blue Book value each time.

- Jack

ChuckD
Wed, February 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
yeah we got one here at Luke also. This would be a second vehicle for us. Our 97 is a stripped drag car, the 02 GT is a road race car. Plus since I can't ride I have no need for the bike.

Cajun
Wed, February 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
He would also be getting the $2400 owed on the bike paid off. With that and the value of the car, it's getting close to the BB value of the bike.

Jackpine
Wed, February 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Close yes. I'm just leery of someone else's 14 yr-old car, I guess.

- Jack