PDA

View Full Version : Transmission questions

tomtom
Tue, June 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
My tranny hasn't gone out yet, but was wondering if you had any recommendations on replacing it with. ATS? BTS? Suncoast? Are there any real good tranny shops in the ATL market? I use my truck to tow a heavy horse trailer and I don't want to waste money on a bad rebuild when it does go out. Just trying to get my ducks in a row so I won't make a mistake when the time comes. Thanks for your help.

Robert6401
Tue, June 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Personally, I will go with a BTS or John Woods tranny when mine fails.

epowers777
Tue, June 15th, 2010, 03:24 PM
If your good with mechanics do your own rebuild. I was reading online there's DIY . Is rather do it myself so I know what's there. Just ky 2 cents!

tomtom
Tue, June 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Robert 6401, I see that you have a tc lock. What is the benefit of it and when do you use?

Robert6401
Wed, June 16th, 2010, 10:44 AM
It's just a way to manually lock the TC. I don't really use it much since I got the phoenix chip. It used to be that the truck would downshift and there would be no power going to the wheels because the TC would just spin forever - creating excess heat and robbing the power to the wheels. So I would lock the TC manually with the switch to override what the stock programming was telling it to do. Now, with the pheonix tow tunes, the TC locks up more quickly when the truck downshifts and I don't use the manual lockup any more.

StripperDJ
Wed, June 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I would like to give you some quotes on rebuilding it for you..Not a big fan on ATS. I have had some issues on customer service with them..drop me a email when you can and i will get with you.

Pocket
Wed, June 16th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I've had my BTS for 3 years now and have absolutely beat the hell out of it. Still works just as good as the day it was stabbed under the truck. Zero complaints. I've also spoken with Brian on the phone before. He's a really nice guy and a straight shooter.

I don't have any experience with John Woods, but I keep hearing great things about his transmissions.

I have ridden in a truck with a Suncoast, and I was impressed.

I would put those 3 at the top of your list. :thumbs up yellow: