PDA

View Full Version : Early '99 pcm- swap it or no

Seven-Point-Three
Sun, June 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Allright, I have an early '99 7.3l F250 and am wondering if I should swap the pcm out for one from a late '99, 2000, 2001 truck? Some people says it really improves how the truck runs. I am planning to get a PHP chip in the future, so would a chip make the swap obslete?:hmmm: Need some info to steer me in the right direction

Thanks
Nolan

cleatus12r
Mon, June 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM
It's a noticeable improvement going from an E99 PCM to a 99.5-01 PCM regardless of what the later PCM code is.

However, if you're not into hauling things or racing, you probably won't notice a whole lot short of changed torque converter clutch apply strategies.

You can't go wrong by changing the PCM though so if it's something you want to try, then by all means go for it. I have swapped a few of them over and was told that it was the best modification that I did.

Seven-Point-Three
Mon, June 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Is there someone involved with diesel performance that you can buy a later pcm from or should I just look around?

cleatus12r
Mon, June 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Is your truck CA emissions? If not, you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a PCM.
If it is a CA truck, I can only wish you luck. We can reflash the PCM if it is or isn't depending on what you have and what you come up with as far as a used PCM goes.

In all actuality, ebay has always been my friend and as long as you know what you're looking for, you can usually get them for a hundred bucks or so.

The other option is NAPA. I think the last one I bought was $189...you just have to give your old one to them. It won't be a "fair" trade, but they won't know the difference. I'm not condoning being dishonest, but if you order a PCM from them, make sure you get the "DPC-422".