PDA

View Full Version : muffler?

mod11
Wed, July 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
Muffler or no muffler?Had a dicussion with a guy last night said the 7.3 powerstroke would make more ponies with a muffler,any thoughts from the guru's.Wouldn,t help the turbo lag a touch with a muffler?Just thinking:hmmm:

cleatus12r
Wed, July 21st, 2010, 11:39 AM
The 94.5-97 PSDs had a straight-through 3.5" muffler. There is very little benefit besides sound by going larger on those or deleting the muffler. Installing a 3" turbocharger downpipe is a necessity though!

On the 99-03 PSDs, the muffler is a maze of baffles and flow redirectors. By "losing" the factory muffler on those trucks, besides being a lot louder, they can see a benefit in breathing and power.

KT Performance
Tue, August 17th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Almost all after market exhaust kits are high-flow mufflers and make little back pressure. I tell anyone planning on pulling a trailer on long trips or many short trips to go with a muffler because the drone of a straight pipe exhaust gets to a lot of guys when under load.

Kenny

hayjayhorses
Fri, August 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Almost all after market exhaust kits are high-flow mufflers and make little back pressure. I tell anyone planning on pulling a trailer on long trips or many short trips to go with a muffler because the drone of a straight pipe exhaust gets to a lot of guys when under load.

Kenny

I 2nd that statement, I like the straight threw silencer (like a 2 stroke dirt bike) type mufflers.

I used my friends '97 PS with stacks and no muffler:cursin: to haul my 8' tall x 8' wide x 32' aluminum gooseneck stock trailer, that was very annoying I officially dislike stacks on a pickup. I couldn't even talk on the phone with the windows up.

907DAVE
Fri, August 20th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Muffler FTW!

Everyone always asks me why I dont take mine off, and I tell them that I still have to drive the damn thing................without loosing my sanity.;)