PDA

View Full Version : EVO SHIFT FIRMNESS

AussieOiler
Sat, July 31st, 2010, 07:59 PM
G'day Fellas,
Brand new bloke here, so excuse my ignoance.
I have an EVO in my 7.3Ltr F250 and I have been studying the site's pros & cons of upgrading to a Gryphon. However the dramas that a lot of you seem to have had, or are having downloading programs is somewhat baulking my decision :yikes2: I'm about as computer savy as Fred Flintstone and that is why I've never been tempted to use the Fusion Site to check for any upgrades to the EVO :matt-roloff:
Anyway while I procrastinate; I'd like to know how high a setting is considered safe on the EVO for shift firmness. Also is there any advantages in altering shift times + or -. My tranny is bone stock but with a V10 cooler in series with the stock cooler. I also run Castrol Transmax Z fully synthetic fluid (recommended out here for 4r100 tranny). I have an AIS intake and a straight through muffler (BTM). The truck is heavy on it's own due to being a Crew Cab with a lot of addons. I also tow a 3,200KG Trailer.
Can any damage be done by changing some of these parameters? The truck only has 100,000km (60,000 miles) on it.
Any constructive advice/comments would be much appreciated.

Regards to y'all,
Reg.

907DAVE
Sat, July 31st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Firm shifts can be beneficial.......... to a point.

A firm shift reduces the "burn time" or clutch slippage, and can be healthy for a transmission. If the shifts are so firm/ harsh that it is banging gears (spilling your coffee) it can break parts because of the shock loading.

I dont think your programmer will let yet get too crazy with the shift pressures/ times. Just play around with it until it feels good to you.