PDA

View Full Version : friend hooked on banks tc ?

epowers777
Sat, August 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
My friend is hooked on banks products. I told him that I personal don't Like banks and thnk they rip people off. He is looking for a tc and is hooked on the banks tc. Can he get a better tc for his money like suncoast? He will be towing a 37 ft fifthwheel. He has a 02 7.3 f250. Also he is looking at the banks trans commander. I just want to help him get the best for his buck.
Thanks Eric

907DAVE
Sat, August 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I have been using a Banks TC for around 30k miles. It seems to be holding up well to 600ish hp, towing 14k around town twice a week, and a few 1000 mile trips (towing 14k) a year.

It is priced similar to other brand name converters so its not like you will be spending more on it.

Suncoast or Precision would be another option.

Tell him to get a PHP chip instead of the TransCommand<-----------:giggle:.

epowers777
Sat, August 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm going to print this to him. Can you explain why a pho chip is better than the trans command.

cj45lc
Sat, August 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
You can tell him that I have a banks chip & trans command that he can get along with the fancy stickers banks wants you to put on your fenders! No BS

epowers777
Tue, August 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
My buddy says that the banks trans command is recommended for that tc. He is going to stick with that because its tested unless you can explain to him why a gryphon is better. He says he already has a programmer that programmed his pcm to a tow safe mode.
If you can prove to him why its better he will get that.

907DAVE
Tue, August 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM
If he already has a programmer that is "tow safe" then why would he need the TransCommand?

What does the TransCommand have to do with the TC?

IIRC the only thing that box does is jack with shift pressures. Otherwise it does nothing with shift timing/ strategy, torque reduction, TCC PWM, etc, etc, etc........... which have a great effect on transmission health.

I am not out to convince anyone not to use something I have no experience with, but if he is serious about towing, the money will be much better spent on a chip/ tuner that is designed and programmed specifically for that.

Just my 2 cents.

hayjayhorses
Fri, August 20th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I think the best bang for your buck torque converter is a Precision of New Hampton converter, the one I like for powerstrokes is the max low stall, billet, multi disk converter:thumbs up yellow:, witch has a 700 rpm lower stall speed then stock. I paid $485 plus shipping and core for the last few converters I bought from them.

Their web site is Torque Converters - Precision of New Hampton (http://www.gopnh.com) check out there heavy duty/RV products, you can also get a good education on torque converter by browsing their web site

what ever you do go with the lowest stall speed you can get, it makes a huge difference for a diesel

hayjayhorses
Fri, August 20th, 2010, 01:43 AM
As for Banks they have a 4 page spread in every truck magazine, someone has to pay for it.