PDA

View Full Version : Pcm bracket

O SEA D
Tue, September 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have heard that some people are cutting the back out of their PCM brackets to allow easy access to their chips and would like to hear other peoples thoughts on doing this.
If any one has done this and has photos of it I would really like to see em.

907DAVE
Tue, September 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Pretty crappy cut done by the previous owner..........but works fine.

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt274/907dave9/Multimediamessage.jpg

O SEA D
Tue, September 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave.
I had a closer look at my PCM bracket today and noticed that the bracket can be removed without taking the PCM out of the truck.
Due to the placement of the PCM on our Aussie trucks and the risk of knocking the exposed chip I think I will leave the bracket as is and just remove the two 7mm bolts and slide the bracket out if I want to reburn my FU chip.
Haven't got the chip yet, but just want to be ready for it when it gets here.

907DAVE
Tue, September 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
WOW......that is different!

Never seen one mounted that way before.

AussieOiler
Sat, September 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave.
I had a closer look at my PCM bracket today and noticed that the bracket can be removed without taking the PCM out of the truck.
Due to the placement of the PCM on our Aussie trucks and the risk of knocking the exposed chip I think I will leave the bracket as is and just remove the two 7mm bolts and slide the bracket out if I want to reburn my FU chip.
Haven't got the chip yet, but just want to be ready for it when it gets here.

G'day Mate,
I've been lookin' at doing the same thing, but I'm not quite at that point due to wanting to finish other mods.
I'm very interested to see how you go about this.
A couple of questions, when ordering a Chip or Gryphon there is a requirement to submitt the PCM Model/Serial numbers.
Q1: Have pulled the PCM to lift these numbers?
Q2: Is there any need on our RHD models because by just removing the easily accessable bracket they can be seen??
I've had an Evo 2 in my Ftruck for some time now and have been 'sorta' happy with it. It works even better in conjunction with the JWVB that I recently installed.
Of course I returned the Evo 2 to stock settings before the VB install because I'd been running the shift firmness setting on the No+6 setting.
If I'd have left this electronic setting with the JWVB installed it would have jerked the milk out of my coffee:yikes2:.
But I run her for 50km in stock and noticed better shifts than with an OEM VB.
But when I stopped her and programmed it on the Tow Safe +40Hp setting it really did make a difference. Shifts quicker and has a real nice 'clunk' feel as the gears change.
Nothing radical just nice truck like shifts. I also fitted the RiffRaff Fuel Rail Cross Over (RRFx) at the same time:woot:.
Now:matt-roloff:; Why I'm interested in what your doing mate, is that I believe that I can't any longer send in my EVO2 to be upgraded to a Gryphon (not a 100% sure, but I think that's now the case).
If that is indeed the case, I'm in two minds as to either just purchase a Gryphon CS/CTS with a couple of customs,or:
Leave the Evo2 in (Set to Stock Tunning) to continue to read EOT, TFT, Boost & EGTs and put in an FU Chip.
Not sure if this is doable or even doable but not advisable (some boffin will chime in a set me straight for sure..please).
So please keep us updated on how it all turns out mate.
Out of interest, what weight is the Ftruck? What weight are you normally pulling around? What size tyres? What mods have you done in order to get the best out of a PHP Chip?
How much of this did you take into account for ordering your FU Chip tunes?
Sorry about all the questions and being a little long winded, but your the only Aussie 'pioneer' I've been able to locate going for a PHP item.
Cheers, Reg

cj45lc
Sat, September 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
o sea d, I just took a look at mine & I believe your gonna have to cut the bracket a little because the chip sticks out just a little. Plus the cable is right there also. I put a piece of duct tape over my chip, some say this is not required but makes me feel better, & wire tied the cable right above the pcm - don't want any oh ohs. Hope this makes sense & I don't believe you'll be disappointed with PHP tunes, I'm real satisfied with mine.

O SEA D
Sat, September 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
G'day Reg I am out in the boat for a couple of days will reply properly in the next day or so.
Scott

AussieOiler
Sat, September 18th, 2010, 06:32 PM
G'day Scott,
No worries mate. You just enjoy that fishin'... it might just be a job to you ... but it's still 'fishin'. Besides most of us would swap our offices/workplace for yours :drool2:
I'm at sea myself for the next 6 weeks. So you just take it easy and get around to it when you can.
Although I'm livin' in SA now, I'm originally from QLD. Born in Gympie and raised in Imbil. Trust me the fishin' is better up there:thumbs up yellow:.

Fair winds and a following sea to ya mate,
Reg:at-the-helm:.

O SEA D
Mon, September 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM
G'day Mate,
I've been lookin' at doing the same thing, but I'm not quite at that point due to wanting to finish other mods.
I'm very interested to see how you go about this.
A couple of questions, when ordering a Chip or Gryphon there is a requirement to submitt the PCM Model/Serial numbers.
Q1: Have pulled the PCM to lift these numbers?
Q2: Is there any need on our RHD models because by just removing the easily accessable bracket they can be seen??
I've had an Evo 2 in my Ftruck for some time now and have been 'sorta' happy with it. It works even better in conjunction with the JWVB that I recently installed.
Of course I returned the Evo 2 to stock settings before the VB install because I'd been running the shift firmness setting on the No+6 setting.
If I'd have left this electronic setting with the JWVB installed it would have jerked the milk out of my coffee:yikes2:.
But I run her for 50km in stock and noticed better shifts than with an OEM VB.
But when I stopped her and programmed it on the Tow Safe +40Hp setting it really did make a difference. Shifts quicker and has a real nice 'clunk' feel as the gears change.
Nothing radical just nice truck like shifts. I also fitted the RiffRaff Fuel Rail Cross Over (RRFx) at the same time:woot:.
Now:matt-roloff:; Why I'm interested in what your doing mate, is that I believe that I can't any longer send in my EVO2 to be upgraded to a Gryphon (not a 100% sure, but I think that's now the case).
If that is indeed the case, I'm in two minds as to either just purchase a Gryphon CS/CTS with a couple of customs,or:
Leave the Evo2 in (Set to Stock Tunning) to continue to read EOT, TFT, Boost & EGTs and put in an FU Chip.
Not sure if this is doable or even doable but not advisable (some boffin will chime in a set me straight for sure..please).
So please keep us updated on how it all turns out mate.
Out of interest, what weight is the Ftruck? What weight are you normally pulling around? What size tyres? What mods have you done in order to get the best out of a PHP Chip?
How much of this did you take into account for ordering your FU Chip tunes?
Sorry about all the questions and being a little long winded, but your the only Aussie 'pioneer' I've been able to locate going for a PHP item.
Cheers, Reg

G'day Reg I was able to pull back the plastic wheel well lining to get the code off the sticker on the PCM,but after talking to Bill he said that when I plug the Edge Evolution into the OBD11 the HEX code is shown on the Programmer and that is all he needed.

I looked into having my Evolution upgraded with custom tunes but with the cost of shipping and the fact that if I wasn't happy with any of the three tunes I would have to send it back again to be reburned it just didnt seem worth it. Not to mention the amount of time I would be without the chip due to the time it takes to ship something half way around the world.

I figured that the FU chip would be the way to go because I should never have to pay for shipping or be without my chip again and if I want to heavily mod my truck I can have custom tunes burned to the chip without having to send it back to PHP.

I think that for us fella's down here in Australia the FU chip is a great idea.

I had my truck weighed and it came in at 3400kgs and the boat is 4000kgs and my tires are a standard 265 75 R16.

I opted to go with the FU because I only have minor mods to the truck including 6637 intake,muffler delete, AIH delete and the only other mods I may consider are maybe a 38R turbo as I am fairly happy with the performance already. I dont want to push things to hard in case something goes BANG, cause the price of parts down here scares me.

Scott

AussieOiler
Mon, September 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM
G'day Reg I was able to pull back the plastic wheel well lining to get the code off the sticker on the PCM,but after talking to Bill he said that when I plug the Edge Evolution into the OBD11 the HEX code is shown on the Programmer and that is all he needed.

I looked into having my Evolution upgraded with custom tunes but with the cost of shipping and the fact that if I wasn't happy with any of the three tunes I would have to send it back again to be reburned it just didnt seem worth it. Not to mention the amount of time I would be without the chip due to the time it takes to ship something half way around the world.

I figured that the FU chip would be the way to go because I should never have to pay for shipping or be without my chip again and if I want to heavily mod my truck I can have custom tunes burned to the chip without having to send it back to PHP.

I think that for us fella's down here in Australia the FU chip is a great idea.

I had my truck weighed and it came in at 3400kgs and the boat is 4000kgs and my tires are a standard 265 75 R16.

I opted to go with the FU because I only have minor mods to the truck including 6637 intake,muffler delete, AIH delete and the only other mods I may consider are maybe a 38R turbo as I am fairly happy with the performance already. I dont want to push things to hard in case something goes BANG, cause the price of parts down here scares me.

Scott

G'day again Scott,
I figured as much from reading more on this ordering a chip that the HEX Code that is lifted by our the Evo is all that is required.
However from all accounts we need to clean those silicone coated pins real good (r) real good, so wouldn't we still need to get in there and get at that 10mm bolt holding the PCM wire loom through the firewall into the computer inside the cab so as to completely remove the PCM to ensure those pins get cleaned up proper:confused: I tried to get a look at it and it appeared to me that it was inside the HVAC covering on the engine compartment firewall:confused: The one inside the wheel arch is the IDM:shrug:
So have you located this bolt?
It is very easy to get at the back of our PCM due it's location. So maybe when we lift the cover off we can clean those pins without removing the actual PCM. Have you taken a look at that yet?
Like I say I'm at sea until the end of October so I can't go out and take a look.
Just a thought mate:hmmm:. Wouldn't you be better off getting the FU2. I say this because (and I say this from experience:cheesy smile:) you have not started modifying your truck yet, but when you do:evillol: it becomes a sickness 'Trust me!!'. The FU will allow you plenty of scope, however if you decide on any tranny mods you would 'may' need the FU2.
I stared with a few simple mods and all easily done yourself; such as AIH Delete, Donoldson AIS Intake, straight through muffler, made my own CCV & Catch can, put in a V10 Tranny cooler in series with the OEM. I've just done the RiffRaff FRx and changed the OEM VB for a John Woods VB. So on it goes.
I get all my stuff from the good ole USA and at 40 to 70% cheaper than you can get in Aussie.
Clayton Note at RiffRaff Diesel is excellent to deal with for after market and OEM parts.
If you are going to put a 6637 Intake to get more air in you need to put a good free flowing exhaust on to keep those EGTs down with the chip in.
I can put you onto a very good (easy to do yourself) straight through muffler available in Aussie if you like.
Anyway, let me know if it is easy to get at those pins:shrug:
Anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Cheers, OH how was the fishin?

O SEA D
Mon, September 20th, 2010, 04:09 PM
G'day Reg I did have to remove the PCM to get at the board to clean the silicon off the pins.

It was a little bit fiddly but when I pulled back the plastic lining under the guard I was able to get my socket in behind it to get at the bolt.

I had a look at getting at the bolt from under the bonnet but it just wasn't possble (for me anyway) so that is why I did it the way I did.

I think with the way our Aussie trucks are built it is very difficult to get to the bolt on the back of the PCM from under the bonnet.

My truck is a 6 speed so I dont think I will be looking at any tranny mods in the future.

The best thing about the FU is that if I want to upgrade to the FU2 later it is very easy to do (as far as I know) so I figured I wasnt locking myself into one product that cant be upgraded at a later stage.

Do you think the Frx made much of a difference?

Goose
Mon, September 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I honestly dont like the idea of cutting it yes it saves time but it also helps keep the chip "seated" so it doesnt wiggle out which in turn could cause problems down the road.

O SEA D
Tue, September 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Did the install today and Holy S#!+ these tunes are as smooth as butter.
The truck has gone from a jerky, noisy, buggar of a thing to drive, with the Evolution, to a smooth finely tuned beast with the FU chip.

In short, I love it.:cheesy smile:

I pulled my PCM a few days ago to clean off the silicon and then reinstalled it and when I got my chip today I was able to just remove the black bracket and install the chip without having to remove the PCM.
I cut a small piece out of the top of the bracket so it didn't pinch the switch cable but apart from that the bracket is basically still as it was.:thumbs up yellow:

O SEA D
Tue, September 21st, 2010, 05:33 AM
I honestly dont like the idea of cutting it yes it saves time but it also helps keep the chip "seated" so it doesnt wiggle out which in turn could cause problems down the road.
I agree Goose, with the placement of our Aussie truck PCM's it is a real worry because it is in a fairly exposed position that could easily be knocked .:yikes2:

AussieOiler
Tue, September 21st, 2010, 06:07 AM
Did the install today and Holy S#!+ these tunes are as smooth as butter.
The truck has gone from a jerky, noisy, buggar of a thing to drive, with the Evolution, to a smooth finely tuned beast with the FU chip.

In short, I love it.:cheesy smile:

I pulled my PCM a few days ago to clean off the silicon and then reinstalled it and when I got my chip today I was able to just remove the black bracket and install the chip without having to remove the PCM.
I cut a small piece out of the top of the bracket so it didn't pinch the switch cable but apart from that the bracket is basically still as it was.:thumbs up yellow:

G'day mate,
Sounds like your one happy camper:woot:
Doing the prep before the chip arrived did mean you wasted no time insertin' that sucker. Real glad to hear your stoked.
Out of interest; what were the final tunes you went with, and for what reason?

As far as the RRFRx goes; there is no real noticable improvement mate.
However being a diesel mech in a former life, I'm real touchy about air in fuel systems. As you may know the fuel returns from only one end of each head (front on left head and back on right hand head) and this has a tendency to so call 'dead head' the fuel on the ends with no return. This in turn can trap minute air pockets in these areas and that is why at times you can get an audable rattle in #8 or #6 injector. The same happens in #1 & #2 but you only can only hear 6 & 8 because they are against the firewall on the passenger side (for our US friends; that's the left).
Anyway when International designed the 444Te they had the fuel return coming from the four ends, but in thier wisdom and as a cost saving decision the Ford engineers designed it out:shrug:. These are probably the same jokers who routed the CCV into the turbo intake:doh:
So by fitting the RiffRaff FRx you are returning the design to original. Also there is a shim mod you can do to the fuel pressure regulator to slightly increase the fuel delivery pressure. RiffRaff designed this into their FRx, so you get that little benifit with this mod as well. So I reckon for around US$120 why not eliminate the possiblity of early injector failure (cheap insurance basically).
Now if you are considering this, I believe the October issue of Diesel World has done test and trials on this RRDFRx you might want to get a hold of that issue and read up on it. I just got the missus to order a copy.

Anyway mate, put your chipped Effie trough your tunes and report back.
I'm about to order mine.

Ohh..and by the way; now that you are:woot::woot: you control that 'mod bug', because when it bits you get a sickness:evillol:

Take care,
Reg.

O SEA D
Tue, September 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
G'day Reg have just reread my posts from last night and yeah I did sound a little excited.
Note to self Bundy Rum raises enthusiasm.
I must say that I am very happy with the chip though.
Scott

AussieOiler
Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
G'day Reg have just reread my posts from last night and yeah I did sound a little excited.
Note to self Bundy Rum raises enthusiasm.
I must say that I am very happy with the chip though.
Scott

G'day Scott,

Really pleased for ya mate:thumbs up yellow:. Just give us an update on how the truck has performed on each of your selected tunes.

I'm about to pull the trigger on my order. I've studied enough and found blokes with riggs having much the same mods as mine has and are towing the same weights around much the same terrain.
So I've got a pretty good idea of what tunes to ask for. But will post for opinions prior to placing the order.

Having said in the earlier posts that I am a total 'Ludite' when it comes to computer stuff, it seems that I may have to rethink that attitude.
I've read enough posts that indicate that a lot of blokes have had to send thier Phoenix Chip back for re-burns/tweeks etc.
That would be a PITA for us out here in Aussie, and taking your earlier comment that by going with an FU/FU2 there is no need to send the chip back. Just let PHP know the concerns and he sends the re-worked tune for you to download and burn on your own burner.
Guess I'll have to come out of my cave (a Ludite is a cave dweller, someone who shuns the modern world:confused:) and trust the computer age.
Anyway keep us informed.

Cheers,
Reg.

O SEA D
Wed, September 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
G'day Reg I am still doing a bit of testing with the chip at this stage. I have tried a few different combos of tunes, which is the best thing about the FU, and no doubt I will keep trying a few more till I find the ones I really like to get the truck to suit my needs.

I currently have
40 Tow
65 Tow
80 Tow
80 DD
100 Performance
120 Race

I will try all the towing tunes soon when I tow the boat up to Tin Can Bay, but I have had a bit of a play with the other tunes and I think I am leaning toward the 100 Performance for a Daily Driver.

In the 100 Performance tune the truck just seems to run real smooth and has plenty of power if I need it.

The 120 Race has all the power I will ever need and runs real smooth too but I think if I ran this tune all the time my fuel consumption would suffer.

I am pretty sure my motor has the Powered Metal Rods so I dont think I will try the 140 Extreme for fear of breaking something. Unless someone can tell me I can use it safely.

I have reburned the chip three times in two days, so I think that this FU Chip is a great idea for us living Down Under as I would have been without the chip for weeks if I had to send it back to be reburned if I wasn't happy with my choices.

Scott

AussieOiler
Thu, September 23rd, 2010, 06:47 AM
G'day Reg I am still doing a bit of testing with the chip at this stage. I have tried a few different combos of tunes, which is the best thing about the FU, and no doubt I will keep trying a few more till I find the ones I really like to get the truck to suit my needs.

I currently have
40 Tow
65 Tow
80 Tow
80 DD
100 Performance
120 Race : Why a race tune?

I will try all the towing tunes soon when I tow the boat up to Tin Can Bay, but I have had a bit of a play with the other tunes and I think I am leaning toward the 100 Performance for a Daily Driver.

In the 100 Performance tune the truck just seems to run real smooth and has plenty of power if I need it.

The 120 Race has all the power I will ever need and runs real smooth too but I think if I ran this tune all the time my fuel consumption would suffer.

I am pretty sure my motor has the Powered Metal Rods so I dont think I will try the 140 Extreme for fear of breaking something. Unless someone can tell me I can use it safely. Agree that you have PMR and stompin' on it with a 140hp chip would not be a good idea:thumbsdwn:

I have reburned the chip three times in two days, so I think that this FU Chip is a great idea for us living Down Under as I would have been without the chip for weeks if I had to send it back to be reburned if I wasn't happy with my choices. I've now gotta agree with you (and others), that getting a chip that we can tweek and burn ourselves is the way to go out here in OZ. Quote: I have reburned the chip three times Can you explain this a bit more mate? I thought we would receive a 6 Pos Reburnable Chip with tunes we requested already on it:shrug:. However if we didn't like any one or any needed tweeking we would put that to PHP and Bill would email the changes for us to burn onto our chip?? Have I got all this wrong? Or is that what you have been doing already; that is getting your ordered tunes changed/tweeked? :confused:

Ok Ok ..Ok.. After asking this, I read up on the actual differences between the FU & FU2 ..Duh Duh!
I'd previously casually looked at them both and picked up on the key paragraph mentioning that if you had a 'Modified' Tranny then the FU2 was the one I need.
Sorry Fellas.
Cheers, Reg.

Also: How long did it take for you to receive your FU Package once placing the order. As I've mentioned I'm still at sea until the end of October and I'm looking to get my FU2 ordered to time it to arrive home around the same time as I get back:evillol:
How much freight charge on top of the FU cost was there?

I see you have a 6 Speed manual, so I guess that is why you didn't need a stock tune?

Keep on truckin':woot:

Cheers,
Reg.

O SEA D
Fri, September 24th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Hello Reg I think it took about 10 days from when I placed the order till I recieved the chip and the postage was about $45.

AussieOiler
Tue, September 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hello Reg I think it took about 10 days from when I placed the order till I recieved the chip and the postage was about $45.

G'day Scott,

How is it all goin' mate? I guess your:woot::cheesy smile::woot::cheesy smile::evillol::woot::cheesy smile: around:cool:

I got a reply from Corey (see FU; FU2 Tread "Delivery downunder") saying the same thing as you stated. That is it takes 10 days from order received to receive an FU Chip Downunder.
From ordering to getting it in Aussie in 10 days is pretty darn good going. Just another tick in the box for PHP:thumbs up yellow:
Corey says she sent it to Warana in QLD; I presume that is your FU Chip?

Corey mentioned that because of our RHD set up, the 'Switch Cable' can prove to be a tad short and this limits the mounting position to the centre of the console?
Did you find the mounting of the switch to be somewhat limited due to the cable length?
Have you found any drawback from having to mount the switch in the console centre?
Corey says that TS is developing a longer 'Switch Cable' and it may well be available late October. Do you think it worth waiting for a longer cable?

Got any more pics of your modified 'PCM Bracket' and your 'Switch' mounted position?

Cheers,
Reg ... Hows the fishin?

O SEA D
Fri, October 1st, 2010, 06:54 PM
G'day Reg I'm still lovin the Chip.

I live in Warana so I would say that was me that Corey was talking about.

I did ask Corey about a longer switch cable because I could only get the switch to the centre of the truck and was a bit worried that one of my passengers could switch it when I was going down the road.

I guess that the position I mounted it in will not really pose a problem, it was just that I had seen where everyone in the States were mounting there's and thought it would be best to do the same.

I think I can live with it's position but I guess a longer cable would have been better to limit access more to the driver only.

I notched out a small peice of the PCM bracket (1cm X 2cm)that allows the cable to exit the bracket but that is all I did because I can easily remove the bracket to get at the chip without having to remove the PCM by getting to the 10mm bolt under the bonnet.

Next time I take out the chip I will take some more photos of the bracket for you if you'd like.

Scott

AussieOiler
Fri, October 1st, 2010, 09:56 PM

I did ask Corey about a longer switch cable because I could only get the switch to the centre of the truck and was a bit worried that one of my passengers could switch it when I was going down the road.

I guess that the position I mounted it in will not really pose a problem, it was just that I had seen where everyone in the States were mounting there's and thought it would be best to do the same.

I think I can live with it's position but I guess a longer cable would have been better to limit access more to the driver only.

I notched out a small peice of the PCM bracket (1cm X 2cm)that allows the cable to exit the bracket but that is all I did because I can easily remove the bracket to get at the chip without having to remove the PCM by getting to the 10mm bolt under the bonnet.

Next time I take out the chip I will take some more photos of the bracket for you if you'd like.

Scott

G'day Scott,
I'm really glad to hear that you are over the moon with the FU Chip:thumbs up yellow::woot:
The switch pos'n seems ok there. But your point about 'fiddlers' playing with settings could be too much of a temptation:notallthere:.
I'll wait and see when Corey comes up with an availability date for the longer cable. She mentioned late this month. But I'm wanting to order my chip in a couple of weeks to have the delivery arrive home around the same time as I get home from sea at the end of the month.
I have to make a run up to Nanango to see my old man pretty well as soon as I get home (poor old fella is terminal with the big 'C' and not expected to make Christmas). That's a good 5,000km round trip to sort out the Chip over varying terrain and I may be pulling the Rough road van yet. So it would be a very good test with the FU2 6 POs'n and the JWVB.
Pretty well set on: 25hp Extreme Tow, 40hp Heavy Tow, 65hp Medium Tow, 80hp Light tow, 80hp DD & 100hp Perf.
Appreciate the explainations & pics mate. Any more you take will be appreciated.
Cheers fer now,
Reg.

O SEA D
Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Mate very sorry to hear about your old man.
Scott

AussieOiler
Mon, October 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Mate very sorry to hear about your old man.
Scott

G'day Scott,

Thank you for the thought mate.
I went up and saw him and Mum last time I was home and he wasn't too bad.
I managed to get myself and the 4 sisters together so as we all could say our bit and get his wishes together.
Very tough thing to do, but we all have to face it one day.
I'm the only boy and I got my time with him and we walked down to the dam in the back paddock and sat on the disc plough for a long chat. He told me that he's not scared where he is going, he's always been a good man and holds no fear.
He's almost bed ridden now. My good wife is up there and the 4 sisters take turns standing a watch.
As is his orders to all: No long faces, keep laughing and joking:hehe:. So their taking the piss out of him constantly and it's all a cheerie atmosphere:happy-dancing:.
He's determined to hang in there until I get back home from sea.
I see it as another incentive for him to keep going.
He's 82 and reckons he's had a good innings:thumbs up yellow:

Cheers Mate,
Reg.

AussieOiler
Tue, October 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Scott

G'day Scott,

Well mate, I pulled the trigger and my Chip & Tunes are being written some time this week:happy-dancing::woot::happy-dancing:

So how are yours going? I presume that you have given most of them a little test run and worked out which suits your purposes the best.

If you have anymore pics of your install, I'd apprecitate a couple to use as reference:thumbs up yellow: Your the pioneer hear mate:cheesy smile:

I guess the weather is giving you a bit of a floggin' up there mate?
You've probably not been able to put the fishin' boat in?
But there's a bright side ... you've had time to play with the truck :play-with-truck:and the PHP Chip:woot:

Trust all is well.

Cheers,
Reg:at-the-helm:

AussieOiler
Sat, December 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Scott

G'day Scott,

Seasons greetings to you and the family and may 20011 be a safe happy one:thumbs up yellow:.

Well I ended up being away at sea for 100+ days and only just got home here in SA. The old man is resting peacefully and his suffering is over. I was lucky enough to get a week with him before he passed away.

Anyway, I been home just a week today and I've had a few good runs in the truck. The PHP FU2 Chip 'is' all it's cracked up to be and the truck runs like a dream:woot:. I'm running around in the 80DD tune all the time at present and it performs really well.

I looked at a different way of fitting the chip & switch in.
As the PCM is positioned on the left side in a fore & aft (alongships) horizontal configuration and high up in the foot well, I went with the following install.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/members/aussieoiler-albums-chip-install-aussie-rhd-picture884t-pcm-php-chip-aussie-rhd.jpg

I got a piece of good insertion rubber and cut it into shape. Even stepped it on one end to fit over the screw head. Used a wad punch to make a hole to take the switch cable and cut a slit to enable the cover to slip over the cable.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/members/aussieoiler-albums-chip-install-aussie-rhd-picture883t-cover-made-insertion-rubber.jpg

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/members/aussieoiler-albums-chip-install-aussie-rhd-picture882t-putting-cover-place.jpg

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/members/aussieoiler-albums-chip-install-aussie-rhd-picture879t-cover-place.jpg

This makes it very easy to remove and re-insert the chip:thumbs up yellow:.

I fitted the 6 Pos'n Switch in the same place as you did.
I just used some 'white out' to mark the 6 Positions. I sat in the drivers seat and marked each one from that position to eliminate the parallax error so as each click will land opposite the indicated mark. I'm in the process of designing a custom 'Bezel' to fit around the switch make the whole fit look finished.

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/members/aussieoiler-albums-chip-install-aussie-rhd-picture880t-php-6posn-switch.jpg

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/members/aussieoiler-albums-chip-install-aussie-rhd-picture881t-php-6posn-switch-2.jpg

I put these pics as one of my albums on this site.

Take care mate,
Reg.