PDA

View Full Version : THE PHP TRUCK BUILD CHALLENGE.......

88Racing
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 02:04 PM
PHP currently has two vehicles up for the running.....
Bills and Codys....
Who's going to to be pushing the most ponies?
Stay tuned........
Links below......
Cody...http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1999-2003-7-3l-power-stroke-diesel/5475-new-toy-its-just-what-i-wanted.html
Bill...http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1999-2003-7-3l-power-stroke-diesel/5520-power-hungry-performances-2001-f-250-build-finally.html#post41252

This should get interesting......

BTW
Let's not forget about 907daves awesome build!:thumbs up yellow:

cleatus12r
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Dave for sure on the most ponies as he's got the most air and fuel.

BUT...
Bill and I are working on nearly identical 2wd trucks that have a good weight advantage (but lack traction). Bill's is red with steel wheels and vinyl interior. Mine is white with aluminum wheels and cloth interior. Bill's also has a bed rug and a big ol' topper. Bill just got a 4" exhaust for his and mine's still stock. I plan on doing something WAY different with the exhaust on mine (just because I want it to be different). Both of our 2wd trucks have 230K + miles (mine just hit 235K and his is at something like 241K). My main priority for the moment is to get it looking good and set up aesthetically first. The thing runs like a top and already has a performance-oriented built transmission so I'm good there. Besides I KNOW I have forged rods......Bill on the other hand :matt-roloff: (it's an '01 and it's a toss-up on which type of connecting rods his engine has......I've looked at a few '01 trucks (my previous 03/01 build truck for instance) and they've all been PMRs...... I've checked mine visually (and the 9/99 build date of the engine also helps) and know that mine are forged.

Basically what this will turn into is me being perfectly happy with making sub-350HP in a truck that will still tow a gooseneck and serve as a rolling billboard for my tuning, performance, and repair business. No super race truck here. Seriously, Bill knows how excited I got over the 350 HP his red truck made while he was driving.....but he also knows that I drive like a grandpa and I'm perfectly happy with my mid-200 HP 1995 PSD.

88Racing
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Well just throwing this out there to get everyone's opinion since Bill doesn't want any tangents in his thread.....

What's a little competition going to hurt?

cleatus12r
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Nothing at all.

Mine is going to kick all ***.

[Pedro voice] If you vote for me, all of your wildest dreams will come true.[/Pedro voice]

907DAVE
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Just give up now, I already won.........:hehe:

This might get interesting, but as Bill points out, he will go until it pops........so for now my vote is for Bill.

Sorry Cody.

shotgun
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 05:48 PM
But I'm guessing Cody has more free time. Yes - just a guess.

I'm voting for Cody.

StripperDJ
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 06:10 PM
But I'm guessing Cody has more free time. Yes - just a guess.

I'm voting for Cody.

O but let us not forget that bill has me.:giggle: .. I have alot of time:cheesy smile:

shotgun
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
:smiley_roll1:

I guess it's ON! This could be epic.

Good luck to both.

Jackpine
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry Cody, I had to vote for the "boss". :shrug:

But, what the heck do I know? :hehe:

- Jack

atk
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
thought i would get in on this....voted for Bill.

Robert6401
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Well, I voted for Bill because as was stated above Bill is pushing his until it pops. Cody is building his to still be a reliable workhorse. I am more interested in seeing what Cody does with his truck though, as it more closely matches what I and most other people are actually going for.

907DAVE
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Its going to be interesting to see how far Bill can push his PMR's. I am betting they will make it much farther than the standard 400 HP limit.

So Cody might just be the winner by default! LOL

Corey Cohron RIP
Mon, November 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I have to vote for my husband. :cheesy smile: Cody knows his stuff, though, so neither would surprise me.

cleatus12r
Wed, November 17th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I knew it....Bill's going to have fun with his. He DOES have powedered metal rods.

I should buy the engine off of him before he ruins a good block.

88Racing
Wed, November 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I knew it....Bill's going to have fun with his. He DOES have powedered metal rods.

That would probably be a good idea.......

majek5
Tue, November 23rd, 2010, 08:28 AM

But when he is done with the block, there could be a nice window in it to brighten the place up.:doh:

BTW, vote for Pedro.

epowers777
Sun, December 12th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Updates!! I got my money in bill. He did write my tunes :-)

Power Hungry
Sun, December 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
As I've state before, the purpose of our build (which isn't all that dissimilar from Cody's) is to see just what we can reliably hold down. I'd like to be able to hit 600 HP on an unmodified (with the exception of head studs) PMR block. We've got the CP testing equipment in so that we can see just what's going on in the engine and that, combined with high-speed datalogging and dyno plots, should provide a fair picture of what sort of abuse we're putting these engines through under a variety of modifications and whether or not we can actually achieve the numbers we're hoping.

It'll be interesting. I know that Cody is going for a reliable, mild powered daily worker and I'm 100% behind him on that. 99.9% of the time, that's my goal as well. However, sometimes you just have to wonder would happen if... :D

Longshot270
Sun, December 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
It'll be interesting. I know that Cody is going for a reliable, mild powered daily worker and I'm 100% behind him on that. 99.9% of the time, that's my goal as well. However, sometimes you just have to wonder would happen if... :D

From over here that echos, "hold my beer and watch this." :hehe:

That will be a good test. You took a standard block that had already gone through a previous life. Almost like that ecoboost challenge but oriented for performance mods more than engine durability alone.

StripperDJ
Sun, December 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking. Hey y'all watch this.:smiley_roll1:

88Racing
Thu, December 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
From over here that echos, "hold my beer and watch this." :hehe:

That will be a good test. You took a standard block that had already gone through a previous life. Almost like that ecoboost challenge but oriented for performance mods more than engine durability alone.

:thumbs up yellow:
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx157/ankamarawolf/hold-my-beer.jpg
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1007/police-report-funny-demotivational-poster-1279592306.jpg

cleatus12r
Fri, January 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
It's been decided that I will probably go with 250/200% injectors and a modified H2E turbocharger setup.....when I can afford it, obviously!

907DAVE
Fri, January 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
:evillol:

cleatus12r
Fri, January 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I caught the modification bug....the truck is too slow.

Gotta get me some POWAH!!!!

88Racing
Mon, February 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I caught the modification bug....the truck is too slow.

Gotta get me some POWAH!!!!
About time......

sbrofford
Thu, March 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
cody dont know if you got your h2 yet but if no I can help cheap sbrofford@live.com 614-581-1852

dietoremain
Mon, March 28th, 2011, 01:27 AM
We need updates, NOW! lol

OneMeanStroker
Sat, May 21st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Had to vote for Bill, just because he's going til it burns, but sounds like Cody might be leaning thata way...SOOOO.....

cleatus12r
Sun, November 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just a little bit of info since the last post in this thread was 6 months ago.....

I hit 402 HP a couple months back (although that was on a different dyno, so take it with a grain of salt).

So technically, I'm in the lead (for now). I guess I need to take the truck back to GA to REALLY make sure. However, Bill's done a couple small things to the red truck recently that may change his numbers slightly.

Before I go any farther with mine, I have to rebuild the transmission though. It slips in 3rd and 4th under load these days so I have either a direct clutch that's glazed or a torque converter clutch that isn't able to maintain friction.

907DAVE
Sun, November 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Was that with stage 2's?

What turbo?

cleatus12r
Sun, November 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Was that with stage 2's?

What turbo?

Just 160/100% injectors.

Stock HPOP
Stock Turbo
Stock Exhaust DP
Stock, stock, stock.

88Racing
Mon, November 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM
Just 160/100% injectors.

Stock HPOP
Stock Turbo
Stock Exhaust DP
Stock, stock, stock.:thumbs up yellow:

Not to shabby!

turbosuzuki
Sun, November 27th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Wow thats alot for what you have in it :thumbs up yellow:

cleatus12r
Sun, November 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Wow thats alot for what you have in it :thumbs up yellow:

To be honest, it was more of a way to show that 4xx HP numbers ARE possible on a bone-stock truck (with injectors of course) because the internetz are full of people saying that a guy needs this, this, that, and this to make good power.

Would it make more than that with an aftermarket turbo, exhaust, and high pressure oil pump? Probably, with the biggest gain at this point (from what I can see) being an aftermarket oil pump. I can't empty the injectors without dumping HPO. I need another half a millisecond at 2800+ PSI and just can't do it with this stock 250K-mile pump. The stock turbo works just fine as long as I am running either <10 PSI of boost or >20 PSI (up to about 25). Anywhere in the middle causes terrible surging while towing. :D

dietoremain
Thu, December 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM
To be honest, it was more of a way to show that 4xx HP numbers ARE possible on a bone-stock truck (with injectors of course) because the internetz are full of people saying that a guy needs this, this, that, and this to make good power.

Would it make more than that with an aftermarket turbo, exhaust, and high pressure oil pump? Probably, with the biggest gain at this point (from what I can see) being an aftermarket oil pump. I can't empty the injectors without dumping HPO. I need another half a millisecond at 2800+ PSI and just can't do it with this stock 250K-mile pump. The stock turbo works just fine as long as I am running either <10 PSI of boost or >20 PSI (up to about 25). Anywhere in the middle causes terrible surging while towing. :D

Needs a wicked wheel! mine has NO surge even at heavy heavy throttle, and towing.. :P but ya I know you were proving a point with the 'stock' part. I'd love some 160/100's for my PMR truck, I can dream right?