PDA

View Full Version : gt38r questions

fifity
Tue, November 30th, 2010, 10:46 PM
forgive me if this has been beaten to death.

There has been more and more smoke coming out of my exhaust when I step on it....:giggle:...and my buddy who is a ford mechanic is saying that I may finally be doing in my stock turbo...not to mention all the extra new soot in the engine bay...

So I am saving up for the new turbo (just dropped a fortune on the dually delete and upcoming lift from PMF)

So I am planning the turbo upgrade next. I do most of my driving on the freeway at around 75 mph, sometimes 80...sometimes 70...and not towing.

I have heard it mentioned that if I go for the 1.15 housing that it will benefit me due to the type of driving I do...

My questions are these: where the heck do I find the housing? I have searched and I can find the turbo, but no mention of housing sizes. Is this the compressor housing or the exhaust housing they are talking about?

I would like to find a place where I can get the turbo and the housing together instead of hunting it down separate, but I will.

I plan on doing the bellowed up pipes, ebpv delete and non ebvp pedestal, and silicon boots all at the same time. One quick swoop while its all out.

Thats going to hurt the check book again. No one tell the missus....:censored1:

F-127
Tue, November 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Sounds like the up pipe donut gaskets are failing with the extra soot in the engine bay. That would certainly contribute to the extra soot out the tail pipe as well. Leaky up pipes=less drive pressure=less boost to clean up the fuel. Turbo might likely still be ok.

Regardless, the gt38r seems to be a good drop in turbo upgrade. Nearly all talk about housings are on the exhaust/turbine side. Just did some looking on bean's diesel and saw that they offer the gt38r with the 1.0 wastegated housing or the 1.15 non-wastegated along with the necessary adapter flange to get to the downpipe. I haven't run the gt38r period, so I can't give any impressions with either housing, but if your doing more higher rpm driving and can handle the slightly reduced lag you'd probably be better off with a larger housing. Stock is .84 so you'll be getting the getting the benefits(reduced egts/backpressure) of a larger housing even if you stick with the 1.0 that the gt38r comes with. Spool up with the larger housing 1.0 gt38r is probably quicker than stock just because of the ball bearing design, but I can't say for sure without driving one.

rhnursery
Mon, December 6th, 2010, 06:08 PM
hi i wanted to let you know that i rebuilt mine, i got the parts for 150.00 and a friend who is aec certified rebuilt it for me for 150.00.. runs grate iv gotten 31.6 psi boost so far and running really good...( except i accidentally wiped out my pcm.. lol)

epowers777
Wed, December 8th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Did you try searching on the van turbo?

Welcome to BDrummonds Van Turbo Rebuild Web Page (http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/vanturbo.php)