PDA

View Full Version : No WTS light

cj45lc
Mon, December 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sat. morn temp low 20's, damp, frost on everything went to start truck (hadn't been started for a couple or three days) turned key on & no WTS. I thought here we go, turned key off & on a couple times still no lite. Could tell GP's lit by batt gauge, so cranked & fired right up. Shut it down & went to start same thing. Cranked up let it run 15-20 mins shut it off & restarted everything worked fine. Drove truck several times over the weekend & everything is fine, WTS lite working as usual. IDK... Was it just a fluke? I didn't touch anything so I'm kind of leery.

Power Hungry
Mon, December 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Something there makes no sense. If the Glow Plugs are activating (via observation of the battery gauge or by dimmer lights) and the WTS light is not illuminating, I'd almost say there's an issue with the bulb itself. Since the truck itself seems to be functioning properly, I'd not worry too much about it. I would, however, verify the cause of the issue with the WTS light before disregarding it.

How long did it take before the WTS finally did start working? Any idea? Is it repeatable? Let us know so we can try and reach a conclusion.

Take care.

cj45lc
Mon, December 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Something there makes no sense. If the Glow Plugs are activating (via observation of the battery gauge or by dimmer lights) and the WTS light is not illuminating, I'd almost say there's an issue with the bulb itself. Since the truck itself seems to be functioning properly, I'd not worry too much about it. I would, however, verify the cause of the issue with the WTS light before disregarding it.

How long did it take before the WTS finally did start working? Any idea? Is it repeatable? Let us know so we can try and reach a conclusion.

Take care.

This is the first time it's happened. That was my first thought the WTS bulb & I turned key on & off 3 times without the WTS lite but the glow plugs kicking on each time but after letting truck run for 15-20 mins I started it again & WTS lite worked like it should & has worked since. I'll crank truck again this eve to see what if anything happens but like I said it just happened Sat. morn but after that first start Sat was fine rest of the weekend & I probably started truck 10-12 times through the weekend. Just a real head scratcher to me. BTW all gauges-lights everything works normal.

cj45lc
Tue, December 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
O K I'm stumped. Cranked truck yesterday eve & everything worked normal. WTS lite was on & it ran fine. Funny that it just happened Sat. morning...IDK

Power Hungry
Wed, December 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
That really is an odd situation. The only thing I can think of is that there was a temperature related connection issue between the chip and ECM (which I doubt, because the truck ran fine) or a similar issue with the WTS light. All we can do at this point is see if the situation recurs when it gets cold again and try to determine exactly what's going on.

Keep us posted. :2thumbs:

cj45lc
Wed, December 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks Bill, I really don't have a clue. The only thing different about Sat morn was the damp & frosty air but I can't see that having that effect, we'll see. Thanks

cj45lc
Thu, December 16th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Well did it again this morn 18 deg & frosty this a.m. so I decided to take my truck to work & went to start same thing no WTS but everything else was normal. All other dash lites on & GP's kicked on. Started & ran fine, drove 55 miles to work (everything normal) shut off & restart with WTS on like normal. Just a little history, I don't drive truck daily so sometimes it may not get cranked up for 3 or 4 days. Since it did this Sat I've started & drove truck every day or eve after work & WTS has worked properly until this morning. I don't think the bulb is the problem because it works normally after the fact. Just really starting to bug me & I feel like a truck ain't worth a dam if it let's me down when called on (hasn't happened yet, knock on wood)

cj45lc
Sat, December 18th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Did it again this morning, Sat. I'm really stumped & it runs & starts good. This is the 3rd time in the last 7 days.