PDA

View Full Version : Questions before buying FU chip:

Ryans71
Wed, January 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
So I have an '02 4x4 drw crew w/ a 7.3L and auto with 132K on it. I got it with 82K so i doubt there was any tranny work before I got it.

So here's the million $ question. If I install a chip will a tranny rebuild be in my near future?

I know that no one will answer that directly......but what are the chances? I don't drive my truck hard now (that may change a little with a chip:D) and I tow/haul about 10 times a year.

I've gone through 10 pages of posts and I don't see the answer to my question.

Thanks for any input.

Ryan.

cj45lc
Thu, January 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM
All I can say is I put chip on mine with 170k something miles & it's got 185k on it now. I don't know what the trans thinks about the deal but I sure think it shifts much better. Now that is probably the kiss of death for me, with my luck the darn thing will take a crap tomorrow. Shoot you could probably tear the trans up pretty quick if you put your mind to it, BTW I do drive like a PopPop (most) of the time...lol

cleatus12r
Thu, January 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
So I have an '02 4x4 drw crew w/ a 7.3L and auto with 132K on it. I got it with 82K so i doubt there was any tranny work before I got it.

So here's the million $ question. If I install a chip will a tranny rebuild be in my near future?

I know that no one will answer that directly......but what are the chances? I don't drive my truck hard now (that may change a little with a chip:D) and I tow/haul about 10 times a year.

I've gone through 10 pages of posts and I don't see the answer to my question.

Thanks for any input.

Ryan.

Direct answer.....

Stock transmissions fail behind stock programming. Some transmissions live long and healthy lives behind an additional 80-100 HP. Some break 10 miles after any kind of power-up modifications have been made.

The direct answer is that there is no direct answer. Don't automatically assume that we're going to lie to you and tell you that it won't kill your transmission. Every one of our calibrations is designed to help the transmission cope with extra power. However, we cannot make the internal hard parts of the transmission more robust with programming; all we can do is help the friction materials handle the extra stress better.

If you drive hard, expect the transmission to hate life and give up....whether or not you have added extra power. The 4R100 is a good transmission, but it was engineered for 250 HP.