PDA

View Full Version : The good ol' 4r100 trany issues

tiny
Wed, January 26th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Last Monday on my way from Idaho to Southern Colorado my truck's tranny went:( In Denver while accelerating from 55 to 75 there was a very loud vibration sound with moderate vibrations. I pulled over and looked underneath and had a moderate amount of ATF dripping off the rear of the transmission about 2" in front of the transfer case. i was only able to look at the driver side at time due to position off the freeway and could not see right where it was coming from. I had it towed to the boss's in-laws house so i could continue south for my job, But now I need to first know if someone has had the same issue? I know it is a little vague, but its what i have while I'm away. Second Question is anyone know any good tranny shops in or around Denver? Last is if it needs to be replaced any ideas on the right replacement?:shrug:

Thanks in advance!:sigh:

907DAVE
Wed, January 26th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Might have cracked the case.

Rear u-joints okay(common reason for cracking them)?

Or it could have been overheated and puked the fluid from the breather.

tiny
Wed, January 26th, 2011, 11:08 PM
temp was 140 at time of issue

as for other thought kinda just adding to my fears:(

epowers777
Thu, January 27th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Well I have read about this. Pull the pan inspect it flush it put a new filter in new fluid and if it fixes your problem you save 3 grand. if not your out the oil and filter.

Robert6401
Thu, January 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
As far as replacements, there are 2 that are widely recognized as the best : John Wood and Brian at BTS. Being that you are on the out west, most over there go with John Wood (he is in Cali). Brian is down in Arkansas. I'm one of the exceptions to the rule that live on the east coast and still went with John.

tiny
Thu, January 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys. Hopefully I can make it back to my truck this weekend to get a closer look and to see about the simple fix, fingers crossed. :matt-roloff: will let you all know. Also if anyone else has some ideas don't hesitate to offer. I appreciate all the help I can get. :)

tiny
Thu, January 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Also I forgot to ask, does John offer a shipped swap? South California is a little far for a cheap tow and I can't get away from work long enough to haul the tranny down, and afford it... ;)

ticopowell
Thu, January 27th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I am here in Colorado Springs and I know a place that does general repairs, and they probably could do a tranny too, there were like 4-5 Fords in their parking lot(running ones, owned by the workers there :D) so I think they know their way around our trucks... let me know if you want their info, fyi they are probably an hour's drive from downtown denver, maybe more because they are on the east side of the city, 15-20 minutes from where I am at, and I can get to denver in 45ish...
let me know :)

epowers777
Fri, January 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I have a guy named Oli. Basic rebuild you ship to him 1000 bucks or less. He's in California oroville 9163427952
Do a bullet proof tran 2000 for the inside. Really nice guy.

tiny
Fri, January 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys. Sure is great all the support on here. :)

Robert6401
Fri, January 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Also I forgot to ask, does John offer a shipped swap? South California is a little far for a cheap tow and I can't get away from work long enough to haul the tranny down, and afford it... ;)

Yes, John will ship you the new trans and you use the same packaging to send your old one back. He handles all of the logistics of it, it was very easy.