PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Dipstick Flange

cj45lc
Fri, February 4th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Boys I got a buddy with a '99 7.3 & he has the leak at the flange where the dipstick goes into the oil pan. Ford says they'll fix it but they want to charge him to R&R the engine, I told him that's horsesh-t they where gonna do it w/o pulling the engine but charge him that just in case. I'm real close to telling him I'll do it if he pulls that heavy a$$ starter out of the way...lol I mean folks have replaced that o-ring successfully & they just put there pants on one leg at a time, right. Any thoughts??

epowers777
Fri, February 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Look to see were its coming from there's seals inside and on the tube. I broke my tube and just replaced it very easy. Pull the tube and replace that seal on the tube. If it still leaks do a Google search there's a detailed way of changing everything without pulling the engine.

cj45lc
Fri, February 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM
OK Thanks bud

AussieOiler
Fri, February 4th, 2011, 10:50 PM
G'day M8,

Try this: Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
7.3 oil dipstick leak?
If it's just this leak around the Dipstick tube itself then no real drama to fix.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Oil leak at dipstick tube flange fixed -with pics!.
However if it's the flange itself then be sure to study up on how to fix that flange 'O' ring. The second thread is a good right up with excellant pics.
Big, big drama if the dipstick holder gives the dreaded "ka-ploop" into the sump:yikes2:
Be careful.
Just hope it is only the Dipstick:thumbs up yellow:

Good luck,
:thumbs up yellow:Reg.

cleatus12r
Sat, February 5th, 2011, 10:05 AM
YouTube - 7.3L LONGEVITY LEAKS 2 OF 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApEw2pVMTw)

cj45lc
Sat, February 5th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks fellas, I guess you could say I chickened out. I gave him Marty's phone # yesterday eve. Would be different if I was still living in Ga. & if I screwed up I had a buddy that could weld anything (dam man could weld ANYTHING). Hopefully Marty will take on the task...lol