PDA

View Full Version : Improving the 7.3 transmission cooler

rammertide07
Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I found a parts list to install a 6.0 cooler on a 7.3- Includes:
8 x 1/2" Heavy Duty Clamps
6' x 1/2" Trans/Oil Cooler Line
2 x 3/8"-1/2" Adapters

On the trans/oil cooler line...is that just automotive hose? Is there anything missing?...other than the 6.0 cooler? I also saw some transmission coolers at an auto parts store a while back that had coolers for small cars up to big box trucks (some had fans on them). Wasnt sure if those would work just as good or would it be best to stick with the 6.0 cooler???:shrug:

And the BIG question (drum roll): Where exactly is the transmission cooler:doh: I thought it was on the front but someone told me it is the power steering cooler. If ya'll have any links to share that is more complete than what I found, please do share.

Thanks!!!

rammertide07
Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Like this:

BD Diesel Performance US Transmission Cooler Install Kit c/w Toggle Switch - Ford/Chev 5/16" Tube (http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=1031632/532.0?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping)

Maybe pair 2 of these up:shrug:

ticopowell
Wed, February 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
And the BIG question (drum roll): Where exactly is the transmission cooler:doh: I thought it was on the front but someone told me it is the power steering cooler.

Well I am no diesel guy, but last I checked the power steering didnt get hot enough to need a separate cooler... you steering that much?:giggle: So I agree with you, the radiator in front of your radiator is most likely the tranny cooler, I have one and that is also where it is located :)

907DAVE
Fri, February 25th, 2011, 03:38 AM
There are numerous vehicles (cars and trucks) that use power steering coolers, including our Superdutys.

Dont forget......power steering pumps run the HydroBoost (brakes) also.

OP, the trans cooler is behind the intercooler, in front of the radiator.

rammertide07
Fri, February 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
OP, the trans cooler is behind the intercooler, in front of the radiator.

oh snap, so the intercooler has to come off to do this??? I just got the BIG @$$ bumper installed. Thats gonna be a pita:disbelief:

ticopowell
Fri, February 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM
There are numerous vehicles (cars and trucks) that use power steering coolers, including our Superdutys.

Shows how much I know... haha :)

rammertide07
Wed, March 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Can I splice another cooler in the line somewhere and mount it on the frame???

Also, just thinking, during the summer I need something to help keep y transmission cooler. But during the winter I want it be a little warmer (or at least warm up faster). Why dont they make a cooler that has vanes that can close/open...hooked up to a thermostat getting temp readings off the transmission???? Just pondering:hmmm:

907DAVE
Wed, March 2nd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Just do a search for a trans cooler with a thermal bypass...

Otherwise Jegs or Summit sells a cooler thermostat that can be plumbed into the system.

rammertide07
Thu, March 3rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks man. So I can splice another cooler into the line somewhere?

907DAVE
Thu, March 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
I dont know that I would run 3 tranny coolers, but relocating a single cooler should not be an issue.

rammertide07
Thu, March 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
I wouldnt run 3, I am just interested in splicing another 1 into the line. What would be your concern with an extra cooler? If it best that I just redo the one cooler, I gotta get that big ranch hand bumper off somehow....I don't live close to any relatives that can help and people from work are on average 20yrs older than me...so dont really socialize with any of them. It would be a little while before I could get to do that then. Right now local weather mpstemps are in the -70/+60 and my highway temps have gotten to 120-140. And high temps normally get to 110-120 in this area. Thanks

907DAVE
Thu, March 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
My concern with having a too many coolers would be the restriction they create. The transmission pump needs a healthy supply of oil, and a restricted cooler can cause numerous issues. I am not experienced enough to know if the extra cooler will cause you any issues, but I would avoid it if you can.

I dont see why you have to pull your bumper to change the cooler, you should have plenty of room to pull the intercooler out by removing header panel and the radiator support "cross-member".

Worth a shot.....

dietoremain
Fri, March 4th, 2011, 02:22 AM
im running a stock/tru cool set up, i havent seen over 150* yet, and im sure in the summer i'll see 165-180 but no worries here.

navycranes
Fri, March 4th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Check this write-up

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnthings8/2002-f-350-superduty/superduty-modification-page/6.0TransmissionCoolerWriteup.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

rammertide07
Sun, March 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Great info navycranes!!!:thumbs up yellow: Thanks for all the input fellas...I think all I need to do is get the supplies and ya'll gave me the know-how. Great support here!!!

rammertide07
Mon, March 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
im running a stock/tru cool set up, i havent seen over 150* yet, and im sure in the summer i'll see 165-180 but no worries here.

180 is about the caution area...I dont want to get that high.

What are you running (truck model? Mods?) Fill in your sig at the User CP

dietoremain
Wed, March 9th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I dunno why my sig didnt show up there.

muns53
Fri, March 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I put a tru-cool in series with my stock tranny cooler - bought it from Dieselsite when they were selling them. It was super easy, I just mounted it all the way up front on the brackets in front of all the other coolers. Way easier than trying to take the stocker out and replace it with something else - there is no room for fat fingers in there!

My tranny temp doesn't break 140*F now, which is down 30*F-40*F from stocker alone. I don't tow much, so don't have any towing data for you.

FYI, I remember Bob said some people put two tru-cools in series with their stocker and the flow rate still matched OEM specs. Don't take my word/memory for it, though, keep asking around. Maybe ask Bob himself.

Good luck!

907DAVE
Fri, March 25th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I talked with my tranny guy about this the other day and he said it is fine to stack coolers as long as the flow the same or better than stock.

rammertide07
Mon, March 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hmmm....that's some good info. I don't tow much anymore now that I don't have my 5th wheel anymore. Thanks

rammertide07
Mon, March 28th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Diesel Site has dropped the tru-cool item to concentrate strictly on Diesel Site mad items. Looks like another thread for DIY:shrug:

dietoremain
Mon, March 28th, 2011, 05:01 PM
wow glad i got the trucool before hand, i bet you can find it elsewhere though for reasonably cheap.