PDA

View Full Version : transmission questions

flguy1215
Sat, March 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hey everyone. I have a couple of transmission questions. First off, with a few minor mods to the truck, prolly topping out with a 38r and stage 1 single shots, will the stock transmission hold up to the power? Before I get to that point I will add an aftermarket TC and BTS VB to the transmission. The truck is my daily driver with occasional street rodding. :cheesy smile: Other than that I don't tow too often with it, nor do I plan on entering any sort of pull contest. Just a simple (slightly modded) 02' 7.3. Anything else I should add to the trans to handle the power? Thanks for y'alls help!

Robert6401
Sat, March 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
The upgraded VB will really help prolong the life of the trans. My stocker didnt last long after I installed and chip and started pulling heavy often.

cj45lc
Sun, March 6th, 2011, 08:21 AM
It's a funny thing IMHO but some trans seem to go south after adding power, some don't. I was gonna put valve body & 6.0 cooler on mine but my thinking is there is close to 190k miles on the trans & I usually have a 10k trailer chasing it & a few times a year I get 250-300 65# bales of hay on a 24' gn trl & everything is good (knock on wood). So I'm just leaving well enough alone, I like the shifts as is & my temps have never gone over 185* so I just don't want to disturb anything with the trans.

flguy1215
Tue, March 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I figured I'd just use my own thread to ask some more questions. Anyone using a Bank Billet torque converter? I am think of going with that and the BTS VB and a trans cooler upgrade to top off my transmission. This a good idea, bad? Also, anyone tried the 6.0 TC upgrade for our trucks? I've been reading that it is a cheaper upgrade than a new performance TC, but should handle the power I'm hoping to make with my truck. Thanks for y'alls help!