Engine is hurt.

TwinTurbo
Sat, March 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM
That Sucks!!!:groan:
Wish it was this easy:fixed:
Do you know what caused it?

907DAVE
Sat, March 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Not yet, need to do a bit of measuring tomorrow...but I think it was heat related. I have pegged a 2k EGT gauge a few times, but only for 10 seconds or less. When the machine work was done we setup the piston to cylinder clearance a bit on the loose side to account for this.....might not have been enough.

dietoremain
Sat, March 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM
ouch thats a hot motor.

Blowby
Sat, March 12th, 2011, 10:45 PM
2000k plus EGT's on a regular basis. You need to look at oil quality, ring seal and CP's (timing /angle of piston when peak force applied). What did the other side look like? No coating on the skirts?

80K miles:
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/photopost/data/687/medium/DSC01190a.JPG

907DAVE
Sun, March 13th, 2011, 12:54 AM
CP stuff is ready to rock, but I was waiting on some dry roads to start testing.

Oil analysis never showed any abnormalitys, have been using Delvac 1.

No coating, and the other side of piston was scared up a bit too - but not nearly as bad.

Only 15k on this motor.....:matt-roloff:

F-127
Mon, March 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Dang Dave, sucky. I think I'd still give up my left leg to get your pickup, even with the hurt engine, lol. Just had another thought after reading which cylinder it was on PSN. Maybe between the partially filled block, long towing trip, no.7 cylinder(possibly hotter at the back) the engine just got to hot? Is the scuffing up the entire piston or just the lower part of it?

I also read you thought the cooling jet was restricted, anymore checking into that jet or the jet(s) on the other cylinder(s) with bad leakdown?

907DAVE
Tue, March 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
The scuffing was only on the skirt and predominantly on the "power" side of the piston.

There is definitely a few variables here, the oil jet was restricted for sure - I could barely blow through it - while the rest were no problem to blow through.

It is possible the EGT gauge was reading incorrect, I have always suspected this after switching to my newer gauges - seemed to read a bit on the cooler side.

Being the rear cylinder it is going to be subjected to a tad more heat, and the filled block brings up a few more suspicions, but #8 cyl. was fine - so that idea is shut down.

Blowby
Tue, March 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Are the bores round? Did you bore them or hone them after the hard-block set? Line bore should also have been done after as well.

907DAVE
Tue, March 15th, 2011, 05:07 PM
All the machine work was done almost a month after the block filler was finished, bored/honed and align honed.

Blowby
Tue, March 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Did you check the bore since the pistons came out? Are they still round?

907DAVE
Fri, March 18th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Not yet, its headed back to the machine shop to get looked over.