PDA

View Full Version : Emergency truck died

epowers777
Wed, March 16th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Ok my battery light started blinking. thought it was my belt slipping. tonight my electrical started going out, first the radio then stuff on the dash went weired. i shut the truck off and it won start up again. The batterys are reading both 11.4 Its raining so i couldnt unhook and test the battery's individually. So is it my Alternator or battery?

I have no cars i wrecked my honda please help.

:thumbsdwn:

Robert6401
Wed, March 16th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Everytime the battery light has come on on my truck I have had to end up replacing the alternator.

cleatus12r
Wed, March 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
The only thing the battery light is hooked to is the voltage regulator on the alternator.

Good call, Bob.

Blowby
Wed, March 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Alternator for sure. Just replace it and make sure you charge the batteries before running the truck with the new alternator. If not it could cause damage with too much time charging from a dead state.

Jackpine
Wed, March 16th, 2011, 06:59 PM
X2!!! ^^^What he said^^^ An alternator is not a battery charging device. It is a battery maintaining device.

You COULD have a totally shorted battery or something that is preventing the alternator from charging them. Before you jump in and change the alternator, try charging BOTH batteries. At no load, about 3 hours after charging, they should read about 12.7V. Anything less is an indication of a weak battery. A battery charge of 11.4V is a totally dead one.

When a battery gets pulled down like yours were, it is not uncommon for the battery to be bad too, in addition to a possible alternator failure. (Aren't vehicles fun?)

- Jack

epowers777
Wed, March 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
ok well i have been bad and the battery light has been flashing for a couple weeks. I have a alternator im going to go pick up in an hour. Also O have a large radio with and amp so im sure the amp drained one side of the batteries. I will let you know my findings soon ty for the help.,

epowers777
Thu, March 17th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I seemed to of fixed it Ty for your help :-) know if someone can help me out with one injector harness

rammertide07
Thu, March 17th, 2011, 08:35 AM
ok well i have been bad and the battery light has been flashing for a couple weeks. I have a alternator im going to go pick up in an hour. Also O have a large radio with and amp so im sure the amp drained one side of the batteries. I will let you know my findings soon ty for the help.,

If one battery drains, they both drain. Thats why you unhook the terminals to test them insependent of each other. So was it the alternator?

Jackpine
Thu, March 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM
X2 Again! You could have one weak battery! DO test them both separately! (It would be best to have them load tested.

- Jack

epowers777
Thu, March 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
It was the alternator! Batteries are fine.