PDA

View Full Version : Can EGT probe go bad?

rammertide07
Mon, March 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
I got a set of GlowShift gauges on the pillar. The EGT gauge started give jumpy readings at idle. Then under acceleration, no reading. I contacted GlowShift CS and they told me I could check the gauge by disconnecting the EGT probe wiring. That caused the gauge to max out, then when I grounded it.... it bottomed out. According to GlowShift this means the gauge is working properly. I've double checked the wiring and it is all hooked up.

So I'm thinking its the EGT probe. Can these go bad? I've had it in for about a year. Is there a better replcement probe? The probe wiring just splits off into 2 wires at the end.

Thanks

dietoremain
Mon, March 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM
your problem is glowshift, LOL.
yeah i'd say the probe is bad though honestly.. new thermocouple time.

FuturePharmD
Tue, March 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
I had the probe go bad on my edge juice with attitude. Sold the edge, and the guy put a new probe on it and it worked again. So the answer in my experience is yes.

sbrofford
Tue, March 22nd, 2011, 05:41 PM
your problem is glowshift, LOL.
yeah i'd say the probe is bad though honestly.. new thermocouple time.

yes glowshit sucks not good at all cheap

rammertide07
Wed, March 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM
Okay thanks guys. The glowshift gauges have lasted me a year with no problems untill now. But just in case it's not the probe, I bought a BD X-Monitor for $70 yesterday. Just hope it works when i get it.

I may try to get another probe before I install the x-monitor just to make sure that was the problem before I get rid of the glowshift gauges, that way I can say it was working when removed from my truck.

Lowdown89
Thu, March 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
i put in a set of brand new glow shift gauges for a friend and the probe was bad, we called customer service and they even told us to try cutting off the connectors they provide with them because in his own words the connectors they use SUCK.... that still didnt fix it, so they sent us a new probe and since then it has worked fine so i would also say its a bad probe