PDA

View Full Version : Best CAI?

shorty2tall
Tue, April 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM
What's the best cai and which is the best filter to go with afe wise pro 5 pro 7 or dry?

cleatus12r
Tue, April 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/SiC_SeNsE_SoCaL/tyintake.jpg

dietoremain
Tue, April 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM
agreed.. Tymar/DIY only.

Robert6401
Wed, April 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I've got the DIY setup now, but have considered going to the S&B or another that would be quieter and is actually sucking in colder air. Is there anything that really makes the DIY/Tymar better other than the cost?

shorty2tall
Wed, April 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I like the cost of the DIY setup but like he others cuz they have the shield to keep out the hot engine air out and plus the intake Tube with less groves in it so less restriction

cj45lc
Wed, April 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I really like the Ford AIS for me not looking for crazy high HP numbers. Great filter & keeps the stock look under the hood.

cleatus12r
Thu, April 7th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Is there anything that really makes the DIY/Tymar better other than the cost?

Yeah, paper is a far better filtering media than anything else...especially cotton gauze.

rammertide07
Thu, April 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Is the tymar washable/cleanable? Or do you have to replace it when it gets dirty?

I cleaned my AFE (regular filtering) filter last weekend and the dirt that came out of it was real fine grain.

cleatus12r
Thu, April 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Is the tymar washable/cleanable? Or do you have to replace it when it gets dirty?

You replace the paper elements (DIY/TYMAR) when they are dirty. I don't know the price of the TYMAR filters but I do know they're cheaper than the ones at NAPA which are around $40-$50 each.

On thing to consider is that paper filters are not water resistant. If you live in a rainy/humid climate, you may be looking at a more frequent change interval due to moisture contamination. Once a paper filter gets wet, it's screwed......

Otherwise, as long as the intake tube/adapter you use for the DIY seals properly, you never have to worry about dirt getting into your engine.

Probuilder
Sun, April 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I like the Amsoil EAAU4095 -EA with a prefilter EAPF12 -EA, this makes a great DIY setup with 4" exhaust tube to make the piping. Really simple, resists water, dry media, and filters more air. Plus this is a cleanable filter with light air pressure. Filter manager gauge fits right in the end hole so you still know when to clean the filter.
The pre cleaner is water resistant also.
I have been running this setup for over a year on gravel roads and still can't even see a difference in the filter minder gauge. I have cleaned it 5 times (the pre filter and 2 times on the actual filter). I am yet to see any dust on the inside of the tube or filter.
Pictures below.

yamtodd
Tue, April 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM
unless you are going for big HP number the ford AIS keeps you engine clean and water free.