PDA

View Full Version : Yay! The phones are fixed.

Power Hungry
Fri, March 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
As you know, we've had problem with the main phone line since we got back form Florida. What we didn't know was that it was busted right before we left and the worst part was it was partially self inflicted. :doh:

As it turns out, when we had the alarm installed 2 years ago the guy who installed the alarm had to tap into the phone line to connect for the monitoring service. This means he cut the phone line in two and spliced in the leads to the alarm control panel. Not a big deal. Well, apparently they use these crappy little crimp type wire caps to cover the connections and I guess they weren't crimped very well and at some point either fell off or got knocked off. :thumbsdwn:

In the process of preparing to move stuff from Florida, we put some stuff in the attic... right where the phone lines were running. I guess when we shuffled stuff around we managed to short the two wires together and knock out our phone service. :whistle1:

Now I don't know who to be upset at... The alarm company for doing a crappy installation, the phone company for dragging their feet on checking the lines, or myself for not putting two and two together and finding this sooner. Probably all of the above.

I am particularly upset that the alarm company didn't use a small junction box (for what, $1.50) to make all the connections and instead opted for the "twist & crimp" method. When I get back from Tennessee I will definitely be redoing these connections, but for now we have the "Playtex" fix... Lift and Separate. :rofl:

Corey and I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for our customers. I know it's frustrating when you can't reach someone. I can't imagine the business we've lost from being out of reach but I guess we can't worry about that now.

As always, have a safe and happy weekend. :2thumbs:

88Racing
Mon, March 23rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Oh well $#*t happens!

Glad you found the problem(s)

Amazing how the most insignifigant little thing can cause the biggest problem and what the domino effect can cause!

Isn't trouble shooting fun!

Lars