Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The kd4crs/Power Hungry/Gotts Mod (revisited - and with pictures) (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340)

jimmyv13 Wed, March 18th, 2009 07:31 PM

Am I the only one to not find the 4x3 downspout connector at HD or Lowe's? It also appears that I'll have to paint the PVC since no one carries in in black.

Jackpine Wed, March 18th, 2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyv13 (Post 5973)
Am I the only one to not find the 4x3 downspout connector at HD or Lowe's? It also appears that I'll have to paint the PVC since no one carries in in black.

The painted PVC will work fine. It seems there is a great variance in what you can find in different stores around the country! I have not found the 4x3 downspout connector here either.

- Jack

jimmyv13 Wed, March 18th, 2009 09:39 PM

I ordered the downspout connector online and it should be in my local Lowe's store in 2 days. I'll just buy the white PVC pipe and coupler and paint it...

kd4crs Wed, March 18th, 2009 10:22 PM

I don't see any reason why the painted PVC shouldn't work. Just be sure to use a paint intended for plastics and it should be fine.

jimmyv13 Thu, March 19th, 2009 06:51 AM

I know it will work...I just didn't want to have to mess with painting it.

88Racing Thu, March 19th, 2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyv13 (Post 6008)

Look at it this way. Now you can pick any paint color you would like! Or maybe just black.

Lars

kd4crs Thu, March 19th, 2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyv13 (Post 6008)

When I said it should work I was thinking in terms of the outer diameter. Anyway you should be fine. :o

jimmyv13 Fri, March 20th, 2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd4crs (Post 6098)
When I said it should work I was thinking in terms of the outer diameter. Anyway you should be fine. :o

I might be confusing the two different types of pipe here. Is there a difference in the white and black pipes? When I went to Lowe's the DWV stuff they showed me was corrugated and flexible. They didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for a rigid DWV pipe, much like the white PVC, but in black.

Jackpine Fri, March 20th, 2009 10:01 AM

I don't know how well the corrugated pipe would work. What I've seen has fairly thin walls, and, if the outside diameter is right for the bellows, then it might have trouble fitting into the fender hole. However, it's not that expensive, and if it looks like it might work, I say give it a try. If it fits, it will work just fine.

The white PVC pipe is Sch 40, and has fairly thick walls. Dimensionally, it is identical to the black ABS pipe that I used.

There is little or no stress on this part of the intake. You can use just about anything that gives you the "tube" effect there.

- Jack

jimmyv13 Fri, March 20th, 2009 10:32 AM

I didn't want to use the corregated stuff since it's not smooth inside and that may disrupt the air flow....and it doesn't look as good as the smooth sch 40 pipe.