Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Recommended Tranny upgrades (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7087)

DocBar Wed, May 2nd, 2012 04:34 PM

Stay away from ATS. I just had one crap out on me that was "rated" at 750 hp and 1,500 ft-lbs fo torque. I t lasted 103,000 miles. Less than 20,000 of those miles were over 500 hp. I now have a BTS.

EasyRhin0 Wed, May 2nd, 2012 06:47 PM

If you have not already got a cooler you should look at Rock Auto for the 6.0 cooler. TruCool was the hot setup until the 6.0 coolers came down in price. They are around $275 and are huge and bolt right up to the 7.3 location of the one you are replacing. I have heard it is easier to install from the bottom, but have not done it.

rammertide07 Thu, May 3rd, 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyRhin0 (Post 58061)
If you have not already got a cooler you should look at Rock Auto for the 6.0 cooler. TruCool was the hot setup until the 6.0 coolers came down in price. They are around $275 and are huge and bolt right up to the 7.3 location of the one you are replacing. I have heard it is easier to install from the bottom, but have not done it.

Diesel Site no longer sales the TruCool cool system. But someone on here did find this. Looks the same.

I'll be adding the 6.0 big cooler to my truck at the end of the month when I go home. I got a ranch hand bumper, and my dad has a forklift I can use to take it off. Installation kit from Pure Diesel Power is already at his office waiting on me:cheesy smile:

Highbeam Tue, May 8th, 2012 10:47 AM

So about the OP, is shudder on takeoff a sign of a bad converter? or of a bad first gear clutch?

Pretty sure I'm still with the OEM trans at 167000.

rammertide07 Tue, May 8th, 2012 01:43 PM

I heard brake-torquing is a way to diagnose if its the torque converter. But transmissions are like quantum physics to me

Ridgerunner Sat, June 23rd, 2012 10:46 PM

Be sure you're not confusing driveshaft bind with a transmission slip. Having lift kit and/or loose carrier bearing will cause bad vibration that gets worse under load and clears up faster you go.

ChrisCNC Mon, July 9th, 2012 09:50 AM

I agree, Ridgerunner. Just had the exact thing you've described, 1st gear towing up a steep incline (23% according to google earth) was unuseable. Took it in and they found the driveline was twisted over 2 degrees, plus the carrier bearing was mis-aligned due to my 5" FabTech lift. Got the driveline fixed and balanced, and the carrier bearing aligned and the takeoff vibrations almost completely went away. They still exist but are barely noticeable, my tranny guy said I really need to get a torsion bar to prevent the rear-axle/differential from torqueing under load and he thought that would remove the rest of the vibration.