Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2009 to 2014 F-150 (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2009 F-150 5.4L Preliminary Dyno Results! (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257)

Power Hungry Fri, January 23rd, 2009 03:44 PM

Despite the fact that 14.64:1 AFR is stoich for gasoline, this is NOT where peak torque is made. Under full load, peak torque occurs around 11.8:1 and peak HP is closer to about 12.6:1. Cruise conditions are quite a bit different and can run upwards of 15.0:1 without technically being "lean", although again this doesn't necessarily equate to the best fuel economy or performance.

Jackpine Fri, January 23rd, 2009 09:45 PM

Thanks, Bill - makes perfect sense to me. And, I can see how your A/F curves smoothly adopt that strategy, rather than having the sharp "bump" at 4500 rpm.

But, now I've started "thinking" again (which I know is dangerous). The stock curve seems to hold the A/F ratio near 14.08 (the ideal for E10). And, I have to imagine the older trucks like my 2005 and earlier tried to hold it at 14.64 (for REAL gas ;) ), so did Ford put out a flash to the PCM to "adapt" them to E10 when it sort of became the "standard"? As I recall from the f150 forums, the 2004-2005s were already lean running when they came out. E10 would just make things worse, right?

- Jack

Power Hungry Sat, January 24th, 2009 12:00 AM

To some degree. Keep in mind that the vehicle tested was a FlexFuel vehicle and had the ethanol sensor. Also, don't forget that those are WOT runs. The fuel strategies are a little bit different at WOT than at cruise where 15+ AFR is not uncommon.

chappy Sun, January 25th, 2009 06:56 PM

That is pretty Fricken sweet.nice job.

secondarychaos Wed, January 28th, 2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Hungry (Post 2078)
at cruise where 15+ AFR is not uncommon.

Really? I thought this was a recipe for disaster. I always heard how leaning a motor out could wreck any number of parts, most notably the pistons. is there any truth to this? is it only under certain conditions?

Jackpine Wed, January 28th, 2009 10:44 AM

At cruise, there's very little load on the engine. I imagine that's how you get away with a lean A/F setting.

- Jack

Power Hungry Wed, January 28th, 2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 2378)
At cruise, there's very little load on the engine. I imagine that's how you get away with a lean A/F setting.

- Jack

Exactly. Running a tad lean (lean being a relative term here) during light cruise (minimum load) is not uncommon for most auto manufacturers. In fact, I've seen as high as 15.8:1 under light cruise. Under acceleration or load, fuel curves will richen up as necessary to keep things safe.

secondarychaos Wed, January 28th, 2009 05:35 PM

Ok, so it's Lean + Load conditions that can cause issues.
thanks for the clarification!

Power Hungry Wed, January 28th, 2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondarychaos (Post 2407)
Ok, so it's Lean + Load conditions that can cause issues.
thanks for the clarification!

Couldn't have said it better myself! :2thumbs:

AgentOrange Thu, January 29th, 2009 11:32 AM

Bill,
I do not have a Gryphon yet, hopefully soon...that being said, because of the air intake mod I have, do you think it would be detrimental to my engine (stock 5.4 3v with stock air filter) to make WOT runs? Should I cap off the ram air section and just let it breathe through the fenderwell until I get a Gryphon?
I haven't made any WOT runs yet, and based upon your explanation of A/F ratios it's probably a good thing I haven't.
Thanks for any guidance.