Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   6.0L Calibration Rollback (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4573)

Jeremy Tue, June 8th, 2010 08:59 PM

The first 03's had pilot injection, which made them idle quietly....similar in noise level to a 6.4 but not quite. There was alot of injector issues with it so ford flashed it away.

MJ365 Tue, June 8th, 2010 09:06 PM

My dad's 03 was as quiet as the newer diesel trucks before it got reflashed when he brought it in for one of those supposed "free" oil changes even though nothing was wrong with it.

cartmanea Thu, June 17th, 2010 09:26 PM

How does TEC 3 compare with '03 strategies like VXAP1, VXAP0, or is it the same as VXAP0? Does the TEC 3 strategy still use the EBP sensor? I currently have VXAP1, and before I get custom tunes I want to either get the latest flash for the turbo, improved EGR operation, and any trans improvements, or go back to an early strategy for the better mileage and power. 3rd option I guess is to stick with VXAP1 and get FICM tuning.

StripperDJ Fri, June 18th, 2010 03:56 AM

personaly i would not get the lateset flash..fuel economy and power sucks..ford has really detuned these engines thru the years..if im not mistaken the tec4 is when they started the sweeping vanes on the turbo.actually we are putting my truck back to its origninal strat very soon with the pilot injection to do some testing.

cartmanea Fri, June 18th, 2010 10:26 AM

How do the TEC3 and TEC4 strategies compare with the VXAP0 and VXAP1 strategies? Are they mixed in there with a different naming convention, or were they earlier than even the VXAP0 strategy?

WD40 Sat, June 19th, 2010 01:25 AM

Had my 06 6.0 put back a few weeks ago when I was in GA. It didn't help my MPG as much as I had hoped it would, but the first time the wife got inside the truck she said it's not as loud as it was. I now love the way my Tow-Haul works, when pulling the 5th wheel. Wish the turbo would spool up faster.
My truck is stock.
Thanks again
Doug

StripperDJ Sun, June 20th, 2010 08:03 AM

The difference in the strats is just later tuning updates ford came out with tec1 i beleave thru tec7 is just how ford names them i have a tec3 currently all o3 are like the vxap blah blah...i think tec4 is where the sweeping veins at idle started tec1 or zero is where they had pilot injection..until recently the pilot injection would not work with IH heating..bill would have to go into greater detail on this for me.

MJ365 Mon, June 21st, 2010 11:53 AM

The TEC1,TEC3, and on correspond to Ford part numbers for replacement ECM/TCM units with specific strategy packages on them.TEC3 is printed on the ECM sticker with all the other info.
For example on my 04 the ECM/TCM is a "TBS6" unit that has VXBC9N8 and TQBF0NA strategies and they are crap. The power is way down from what is had new.
The last ones were VXBC7A3 and TQBE0AA before my latest reflash. They're crap too.
I don't know what the original strategies were on it new but it still didn't compare to my dad's 03.
Here's a link to a bunch of different ECM/TCM/FICM hardware part numbers and their 4 digit "control unit catchwords" and you will see how many different packages there are just for 2003. 2003 Ford F-series super duty firmware update database :disbelief::yikes2::shocked:

I would much rather have one of the TEC(X) strategy packages on my 04 truck any day of the week but I don't know how far backwards you can go with a particular ecm. That's another one for Bill to elaborate on I guess.

Farmer11 Mon, June 21st, 2010 06:59 PM

Just got mine put back to tec3 i believe today. So far didnt see a huge improvement in power, but i didnt really pay to much attention to it. when i tow later this i should be able to give a lil more info. It does seem to start better, doesnt crank as long as the old one. I had one of the tec 7 flashes, so we'll see if my mileage goes up!

MPTonyT Tue, June 22nd, 2010 05:11 PM

I'm looking to have my ECM and FICM rolled back. But for some reason I can't ever get through to anyone via the phone. Is it the ECM that gives the poor fuel mileage or is it the FICM or a combo of the two? Why would on roll back the FICM and not the ECM (this was an option offered by Bill via PM on powerstroke.org). I just want my fuel economy back.

Thanks,
Tony T.