Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   6.0L Calibration Rollback (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4573)

Jeremy Tue, June 22nd, 2010 08:40 PM

Its mainly the FICM on the mpg part. The PCM/ECM can also effect the MPG but that is easily solved with a programmer(Gryphon, SCT etc), vs. the FICM with is more difficult to program, or a specialty so to speak. While its not necessary to flash the PCM/ECM when you do a FICM re-flash, some people just prefer the truck running the way it did new. A stock ECM/PCM and a Reprogrammed FICM will run better, than the same programmed FICM and a Ford Flashed ECM/PCM. Each ford flash de-tunes the trucks a little more and a little more.

I didn’t realize how much until, I changed the FICM in my 05 EX. While it ran better with the PHP FICM and the ford flashed PCM/ECM, it ran allot better when I changed the ECM/PCM back as well.(I have spare ECM/PCM's so I can change it back and forth to notice the difference).

I did bring to light my weak injectors, that the ford flashes cover-up/hide, but I'm still under warranty so I'll have them addressed.

MPTonyT Wed, June 23rd, 2010 08:26 AM

Well where do I sign up :cheesy smile: I need my f/e and performance back.

cleatus12r Wed, June 23rd, 2010 08:46 AM

Right here!

http://www.gopowerhungry.com/order_f...20Signable.pdf

MPTonyT Wed, June 23rd, 2010 10:21 AM

So just another question before i pull the trigger and thanks guys for your input. Is the “updated” FICM programing going to affect the life of my injectors, and is it going to negatively impact my fuel mileage from stock in any way? i want to make sure that im getting what i was getting from stock and then the added F/E via my custom tunes.

Thanks,
Tony T.

Power Hungry Wed, June 23rd, 2010 02:15 PM

The updated strategies we utilize have not shown any negative impact on either injector reliability or fuel economy. In fact, the whole reason we started offering FICM updates in the first place was to improve fuel economy. As we kept watching 6.0L performance going down the toilet with each reflash, we knew there had to be a fairly simple way to get that performance back. The trick is to do it without reintroducing any drivability issues for which the reflashes were trying to resolve.

I'm sure you'll be pleased. :2thumbs:

Take care.

MPTonyT Fri, June 25th, 2010 11:28 AM

OK So... I sent in my FICM programming request to Corey yesterday so hopefully ill hear from them soon so i can live the good life. :woot:

RedEagle58 Fri, June 25th, 2010 02:17 PM

I'm very interested in this procedure, and I apologize for my ignorance, but just so that I know what can happen. If I were to have the FICM and PCM/ECM programmed by PHP and then had a problem for the dealer to fix, and the dealer with their "infinite wisdom" were to "flash" my truck, I would then loose the PHP programming and need to re-program my FICM and PCM/ECM again. So would I need to insist to the dealer upfront that they ARE NOT to flash my truck even though they say that it needs to be??

Again, I apologize, I'm a newbie to this and still trying to learn by lurking :)
Thanks!!!

MPTonyT Fri, June 25th, 2010 02:21 PM

You are correct. The last flash applied to the vehicle is the one that will stick. so if the vehicle was flashed by PHP and then the dealer Flashed it, it will knock the PHP tuning out.

RedEagle58 Fri, June 25th, 2010 02:44 PM

Sounds like I need to save up to get a spare FICM and PCM/ECM to have on hand to change out whenever I need to go to the dealer then. So that they can flash it to their hearts content, and then change back to the PHP programmed units when I get back home.

Thanks for the reply, guess it's time to shift the priorities around so that I don't get burned by a dealer "oops, sorry:doh:" excuse later.

SICKS-O Wed, June 30th, 2010 12:47 AM

what is the best factory FICM calibration for power? i loaded a FICM calibration into my 06 from an 03 with BKG0. seems better just makes me wonder what calibration would be the "best". it would take a long time to try each one so i figured it would be easier to ask.