Power Hungry Performance Forum

Power Hungry Performance Forum (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/index.php)
-   Towing (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   New to towing a Travel Trailer (http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338)

Jackpine Wed, July 1st, 2009 05:50 PM

I guess it might be possible to back up a double-articulated "train" like you saw Lars, but I'm glad I don't have to try it. Saw a picture recently of a triple-trailer "road train" that's used in Australia for trips into the outback. Wonder if we'll see them on the interstates here.

Yes, you'll have fun in Camping World, TXWolf. If you haven't been there before, DO join the "President's Club". You'll probably save the cost of membership on your first visit when you buy all the goodies you didn't know you needed. :hehe:

- Jack

88Racing Wed, July 1st, 2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackandJanet (Post 11393)
I guess it might be possible to back up a double-articulated "train" like you saw Lars, but I'm glad I don't have to try it. Saw a picture recently of a triple-trailer "road train" that's used in Australia for trips into the outback. Wonder if we'll see them on the interstates here.

- Jack

UPS, roadway, old dominion already does the triples up here!
They are shorter trailers to begin with. Up here there are some rules they follow. They have to have long load signage. If any of the following happen they must drop a trailer.
Inclimate weather. Like snow, slush, ice.
Winds over 45 mph.
The milk companies also haul finished products in double full size.
There restriction is 10 mph below posted speed limits and long load signage.

Lars

04FX4 Thu, July 2nd, 2009 08:01 AM

The most important thing you can do is have fun!!!! Jack where did you buy your leds from?

Grabber523 Thu, July 2nd, 2009 08:30 AM

I'm kinda thinking take the trailer back for a smaller one! Like a lot of other people said, you are going to be waaaaay over-weight...unless you're running 4.10 gears or lower your brand-new truck is gonna take an @$$-kicking...

My wife and I are looking at boats, and we always have to keep in mind the weight of the boat so we don't over load the truck...with a 6500# max weight on the 3.55 geared screw cabs, it doesn't leave a lot of room to play with...which is why we still haven't found one big enough without being too big for the rig.

Good luck and have fun!

Jackpine Thu, July 2nd, 2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04FX4 (Post 11439)
The most important thing you can do is have fun!!!! Jack where did you buy your leds from?

I got them from SuperBrightLEDs. Here's the link to the "order" page: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...R#1142-PCB-W36

The ones I got were the 1156-PCB-xWHP9 devices (third ones down that page). They have the highest lumen output of all, and my trailer's overhead lighting uses 1156 bulbs. I got the "Warm White" 3100K ones for the living area - they are very bright but and the color is comfortable on the eyes - good for reading. I decided on the "Cool White" ones for the kitchen area. They seem fairly close to a daylight fluorescent color, which I think works pretty well there, but would be hard on the eyes for reading. There's actually a bit for "blending" from the spillover from the warm white lights that "softens" the effect too.

One of the ones I got was faulty. I called them about it and they had me send it back for a replacement and they refunded my shipping cost. I've ordered other bulbs from them for yard lighting and they sell quality products.

- Jack

TXWolf Thu, July 2nd, 2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grabber523 (Post 11441)
I'm kinda thinking take the trailer back for a smaller one! Like a lot of other people said, you are going to be waaaaay over-weight...unless you're running 4.10 gears or lower your brand-new truck is gonna take an @$$-kicking...

My wife and I are looking at boats, and we always have to keep in mind the weight of the boat so we don't over load the truck...with a 6500# max weight on the 3.55 geared screw cabs, it doesn't leave a lot of room to play with...which is why we still haven't found one big enough without being too big for the rig.

Good luck and have fun!

Well cr@p, now I'm getting worried about this purchase. :shrug: I guess one other thing to consider is that our daughter will probably also take her truck when we go to the coast, because we're thinking about getting a golf cart to go back and forth from the beach and the RV park. And we can load a lot of equipment in the back of her truck while we're at it. :thumbs up yellow:

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on the cost of getting the gears changed to 4.10?

88Racing Thu, July 2nd, 2009 01:35 PM

Randy's ring and pinion for gears. web site. http://www.ringpinion.com/
Make sure you get a reverse cut for the front.
I've heard any where from $900-$1500? For the whole job.

Lars

TXWolf Thu, July 2nd, 2009 02:21 PM

This travel trailer is getting more expensive by the minute ... :sigh:

Desert Racer Thu, July 2nd, 2009 02:43 PM

Just wait untill you hit the road and realize you forgot things. Than it gets more and mroe expensive! In the end as long as everybody is having a good time than that is all that matters. After all it is only money.

TXWolf Fri, July 3rd, 2009 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Racer (Post 11458)
Just wait untill you hit the road and realize you forgot things. Than it gets more and mroe expensive! In the end as long as everybody is having a good time than that is all that matters. After all it is only money.

There's always a WalMart around every corner! :thumbs up yellow: